Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cooling fan questions

Bud

Re: Cooling fan questions

Post by Bud »

Josh,
Glad to hear that my O.T.T.M.C.O. was on in background mode and perceived the problem for you, its' usually how it works best.
Everyone knows that the harder you look, the harder it is to see hunted for things. And then Louie walks and picks the whatever right up and hands it to you.
Well that is what O.T.T.M.C.O. is, Obvious To The Most Casual Observer. Just a fresh pair of eyes. I coined that phrase when I was in the Navy in the '60's having constant use for it since. It still holds true for just about every situation.

CDemler

Post by CDemler »

Hi Josh,
Would you be interested in a 7 blade plastik conversion fan kit ?
We made them here in Germany and together with the radiator cowl it works nice in hot temperatures.
The kit is a straight bolt on and works better than an electric fan.
Just drop me a line when you are interested.
Chris

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

A follow-on comment for completeness, from the Conquest cooling fan thread on the non-SP section. I've looked in the garage and compared the MM 6 blade fan with the standard SP 4 blade fan, for those who might wish something with a bit more pulling potential but closer in appearance to the original than a plastic one.

Curiously they are both around the same weight, as far as my arms can tell, because the SP fan has two steel centre plates holding the 4 blades, while the MM has just one, and they are also approximately the same diameter. The MM item is balanced with small rivets inserted into some of the blades as is the SP. The centre hole of the MM fan is smaller, although that is irrelevant owing to the SP fan being fitted to an extension tube and not a water pump pulley. The four bolt holes however, to borrow a road wheel fitting term, have a smaller PCD, although four new holes could be drilled in the fan centre piece to fit the SP extension tube, but it would have to be very carefully done to avoid rotational balance problems.

If I had one and had not already fitted rack & pinion and an electric fan, I'd probably put the 6 blade fan on my SP, to shift a bit more air when stationary (or is it -ery?) without any penalty.

One wonders why the SP fan design has two centre plates instead of just one, which would have saved a little weight?

Not sure if this will help anyone, if not it's an interesting piece of minor detail.

Cheers

Geoff

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, re thread lengths through Nuts, always good practice to have at least Two threads protruding .
I think that you will find it standard practice in the Areospace industry, I should know, as I was in it for approx 40 yrs !!

Cheers A’l :D :D

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

JT7196 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm always good practice to have at least Two threads protruding .
I think that you will find it standard practice in the Areospace industry,

Cheers A’l :D :D
Same in the steel/construction industry..... That's why I replaced the shorter for the longer. ;)
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD