Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Paint code

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Paint code

Post by JT7196 »

Hi WILF,I beg to differ re your last post referring Cellulose paint !
When I restored my Lanchester circa 25 years ago, I insisted that it had to be resprayed with Cellulose paint, so having taken the whole Body Shell back to bare metal, it was then given a liberal coat of a product called “Rustroy” ,then once thouroughly dry, it was the. Primed using a Two Pack High build primer, mainly because it is very easy to “Work” and has good covering power.
After the primer has been flattened to the “required” finish, the Body then received approx 5+ Ltrs of PPG Cellulose Taxi Black, to date it has show absolutely no signs of degradation, so yes ,one can successfully use Cellulose paint in this country!!
3BFDBA84-767F-4209-9CDB-054E99C73E5F.jpeg

Cheers A’l :D :D

Cheers A’l

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Al,
Congratulations on the superb result you obtained! However, your use of 'Rustroy', followed by the two-pack high build primer will have sealed the steel of your car's bodywork. Thus the water-absorbtion of the cellulose topcoats is isolated from the steel, thank goodness.
I stand corrected: cellulose top-coats can be applied to steel cars provided this is on top of sealing two-pack primers.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I have never before heard it suggested that cellulose top coats are porous, and i believe the suggestion is misconceived. What is porous is cellulose primer, and it is for this reason that primed panels should never have wet " wet and dry" used on them, and they should receive some sort of topcoat as soon as the primer has gone off, and should be stored in totally dry conditions