Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cork or Rubber?

RadfordJim

Cork or Rubber?

Post by RadfordJim »

After 1000 miles the rebuilt engine is running nicely but I want to re-torque the cylinder heads. Workshop Manual states 40-45 lbs.ft. Is this correct?

I'll probably have to replace the rocker cover gaskets and there are a few available on eBay, but which is best?
Cork at £5 - £6 pair
H/D reusable? cork at £12 pair
Rubber at £32.50 pair
All plus P&P
Or would BT be best option?
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Cork or Rubber?

Post by A.N.Other »

I always found the cork ones tend to move and then leak slightly. The silicone rubber ones were my preferred option but I stuck them to the covers and put grease on the underside or non setting sealer.
I Generally found Barry to be the preferred option. People look at eBay and take it as gospel they are getting the best deal, not always the case. With Barry the advice and stuff he has is tried and tested.
Some people have gone down the route of milling a gutter around the face of the cover then glueing "0" ring rubber in it to make a permanent easy solution.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I agree with Col! Barry has been a life saver many times and recently when I borrowed the hub puller.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

I bought my Dart with 400miles on the clock since Russ Carpenter had rebuilt the engine. I asked him if I needed to re-torque the heads and was told these engines use a corrugated steel gasket which does not need re-torqueing . The re-torque only applies to composition gaskets which shrink with heating and cooling.
May save you a job there!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I checked my Russ Carpenter rebuilt engine after 1000 miles and with the correct torque applied none of the nuts moved. However all the valve clearances had closed up significantly - by 5 thou in some cases. Resetting all those certainly livened the engine up considerably.

Incidentally I used new cork rocker gaskets bonded to the covers with PU adhesive as recommended by Russ. No leaks after another 2000 miles.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".