Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Torque arm bushes

Crossley Stephenson

Torque arm bushes

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Has anyone had experience of replacing the torque arm bushes on a V8 250? The manual basically says undo the nuts and drift out the bolts AND replacement is the reverse of removal. Not likely.

Any hints or suggestions welcome as always.
Cheers
Michael

Soundmike

Re: Torque arm bushes

Post by Soundmike »

Hi Michael. I have just done mine. Bolts on one side no problem, other side needed some persuasion with an air ratchet. A decent press required to remove and refit bushes in torque arms..... Regards, Mike

Crossley Stephenson

Tks Mike.

I have the torque arms off, have removed the 'old' badly damaged plastic/poly bushes (easily) and had new metalastik bushes (ex-Manners) pressed in. All good to this point.

When the torque arms are offered up the holes don't align! I think I'm going to have to removed the springs so that I can move the axle forward sufficiently to refit the torque arms....b****r!

It's never as easy as the manual says.
Cheers
Michael

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

You should be able to twist the axle forward, may require a big lever, to align the holes...... These things always sound simple!!!

Crossley Stephenson

I'll have another look tomorrow, it got a bit hot in the shed this afternoon - 30c outside, more inside and of course it is a difficult area and working overhead....tra la, tra la....

It looks like about 3/4" the axle has to move for the holes to align.

Cheers
Michael

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I seem to remember that the arm should have a locknut on it and be extendable ( screwing in and out ) . It's some years since I changed one, but as I recall I extended it to the appropriate length to connect it up, and then adjusted it so that the tracking was correct - or am I thinking of the Panhard rod ? I remember, anyway, having the same problem as you, and I certainly didn't disconnect the springs !

PS I presume now that you are talking about the twin arms, and not the single Panhard rod. IIRC , I could get these to align by driving the car back and forward very slowly so that the axle twisted in the appropriate direction

Crossley Stephenson

Tks Chris. I think you are thinking about the Panhard Rod that is adjustable. The torque arms are a fixed length.

When you drift the last bolt out (each side) there is a discernible movement of the rear axle.

I have trialled jacking up the spring hanger and it does move the axle forward but not enough to reconnect the torque arms. I will try some ratchet straps tomorrow, if I can find a suitable anchor point!

Will keep everyone advised. I'm amazed that no one else has had to tackle this replacement!

Cheers
Ichael

tony298

Post by tony298 »

Had the same issue of the axle twisting when I replaced mine a few years ago.
Don't recall any major problems getting the holes to line up again. I used a trolley jack under the diff housing and the axle pivoted to allow the hole alignment. I assume you have the car jacked up with axle stands under the rear jacking points and the wheels off. Fit the front end of the torque arms first, easier to guide the arms into the rear brackets and see the rear hole alignment through the wheel arch.

Crossley Stephenson

In the end I decided it was easiest to remove the springs - not difficult, just follow the manual instructions - then fit the forward end of the torque arms; use a trolley jack and big lever to position the rear end of the torque arms and fit the bolt. To replace the springs, once again follow the instructions in the manual. When all fitted make sure full weight of car is on the suspension before tightening all nuts. I used new bolts, washers and nylon nuts. Job done.

BTW I also searched the jaglovers forum for assistance on this job - well it is a Jaguar, albeit with a superior Daimler engine - and this was helpful as a couple of others had some tips.

Cheers,
Michael

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

If only it were as straightforward as the manual suggests !! ..Rust that corrodes bolts firmly in place was not a consideration for the manual writers.. never easy trying to align heavy sub assemblies.. and often total nightmare to remove the bolts ..someimes requiring hacksaw and drilling.. very wise to liberally coat ALL hardware with 'anti-seize' compound when assembling just in case you have to remove it again in the future .. yes its easier to line up the control arms with springs detached.. but not strictly necessary of one has a good hoist and the car is level on both sides and has an array of jack,axle stands and san assortment of levers and tapered tools to help align the holes to take the bolts..