Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Radiator

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Radiator

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Christopher Storey wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:03 pm ....I have also had expensive experience of the alloy rads corroding away ( Porsche ) in only 6 years....
This raises an important point if fitting an alloy radiator - it's essential to avoid electrolysis from stray electrical currents passing through the coolant. These currents can emanate from a variety of sources, but one thing to ensure is that the engine and gearbox are adequately grounded to the body of the car (or the chassis in the case of the SP). Even small currents in the coolant can result in electrolysis and the aluminium parts in the system becoming sacrificial anodes. It can take a surprisingly short time to destroy an aluminium radiator under these conditions. Equally important is to avoid the coolant solution becoming acidic by regular flushing and replacement. Owners of cars with aluminium heads and cast iron blocks (such as the Daimler V8) will be well aware of the damage to the heads due to the sacrificial nature of the aluminium under degraded coolant conditions; an alloy radiator will be vulnerable in the same way.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I don't think you're red man is wrong Christopher but,
Thirty years driving with an average of thirty thousand miles a year, fifteen blokes doing the same with the firm, I can't remember one radiator being damaged in general use due to anything other than RTC's. It then falls into the realms of the insurance blame game rather than general or routine maintenance.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The SP being GRP will have no connection to the electrics unless modified with an electric fan and the thermostat is in contact with the radiator, the coolant should not conduct and be PF neutral, providing all those constraints are satisfied there should be no problem with electrolytic action. Many Daimler V8 engines that spent their life in the west of Scotland would show little or no head corrosion in 40 odd years, however stones were a different problem. Alloy radiators are quick and easy to fabricate in mass production form, however low volume and "one offs" will be expensive as will a new brass core, in theory once you have the two side tanks made it should be cheaper to re-core if the core fails depending on how the core is sealed to to the tanks.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

faeton

Post by faeton »

Plymouth Radiators rebuilt my SP250 Rad 20yrs ago never had any issues . I use this company a lot for rads, air con ,and marine coolers ,I have always found them to be good value . They will fit bigger capacity cores if required .
Dave