Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Master cylinder

Paulkennedy

Re: SP Master cylinder

Post by Paulkennedy »

Neil you will have to let me know how you get on with the plastic reservoir, I couldn't get it leak proof. It was ok for half day, the following morning it was wet around the base. It was leaking from the reservoir as opposed to coming up the threads from the master cylinder.
Paul

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

When they were made they were soldered up - so I guessed why not mend it with solder

My master cylinder had many small holes in it, I decided to use silver solder to fill the holes up, and its worked a treat.
How long it will last, I can’t tell you but I restored the car 4 years ago and not a sign leaking ….

On my XK – it was even worse with bigger holes, and a new one is £100.00!!!!, could not find my silver solder so I tried that one with car body lead loading…. And that has worked as well - well that was done 2 years ago and is leek free.... may be im to tight and should have just got a new one... but it was fun and the parts work, and they are original..
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

Hi Paul,

The plastic reservoir arrived promptly from JJC and looked very well made. It fitted perfectly although it was a fiddly job. I've filled the brakes and after two weeks there are no signs of any leakage from the master cylinder.

Regards

Neil

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Don't want be a spoil sport, but, will any mod to the braking system constitute a modification which might put in doubt the new exemption from MOT coming in May?

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

Hi Syd,

Possibly but I intend to have it MOT'd for my peace of mind anyway so not harm done. I could always put the tin can on,

Regards

Neil

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

I've had a plastic one on my SP for some time and never been a problem for the MOT.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.