Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Master cylinder

Paulkennedy

Re: SP Master cylinder

Post by Paulkennedy »

I should have said the way to go was to replace the reservoir
Paul

faeton

Post by faeton »

Use Silicone Fluid , It doesn't affect paint as the normal brake fluid does it also is not hydroscopic . The reason I started to use silicone fluid is because of the problems I had years ago with a Frogeye Sprite , In the days before Road Tax exemption I used to lay up my cars in the winter . I live in a damp area and for several years after lay up I found that the master cylinder had absorbed water and rust had affected the seals, fluid had run down and taken the paint of the bodywork. Never a problem with silicone . I have never had an issue with brake fade and regular changes are not necessary . On my Merc 230sl I didn't strip any components just bled through until clean fluid from bleeders , 20yrs of use in the Dart . 10 yrs 230sl , 10yrs Frogeye , Apparently the American Military use silicone in all their vehicles . I have heard that problems can occur with fade with hard use racing etc , but as most of us drive our cars with respect shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

I totally agree.
Used it in the SP for years with no problem.
Keith

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Yes I also have used silicon for 10 years or so with no problem. New reservoir has arrived, so when I remove the master cylinder to change the reservoir I will put new seals in and as it is such a struggle to get the master cylinders out I will do the clutch as well.
Paul

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Yes you are right in that the master cylinders are a real pain to remove/replace mainly due to having to access the bolt heads in the pedal assembly under the dash.
To overcome this, when I had the pedal assembly removed for other reasons, I tack welded the bolt heads to the pedal box using the alloy spacer as an alignment tool. This means that I don't have to mess about in a double jointed fashion trying to locate and place spanners on the bolt heads when reassembling everything.
It makes life soooooo much simpler.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

image.jpeg

This piccy should show how I locked the retaining bolts as suggested by Russ Carpenter.
If it doesn't work, I am having problems transferring piccies using my iPad
Paul

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

It has worked, thanks to John- B
Paul

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Isn't Silicone based brake fluid more compressible than Glycol?

I'm replacing brake hoses with stainless braided, hoping that one useful side effect will be less initial redundant pedal travel.

What effect (if any) have people noticed when using silicone brake fluid?

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

In all the years I have been using silicone I have never had a problem, I don't have do a double push on the brake pedal. This is more probably due to making sure there is no slacknes in the front wheels which happens if you follow the workshop manual setup.
Paul

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

John, Many thanks for your advice. Rather than fill my new tin reservoir can everyone has concerns about I have just ordered a plastic reservoir from JJC. Neil