Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Master cylinder

Paulkennedy

SP Master cylinder

Post by Paulkennedy »

I suspect that my tin can master cylinder might be weeping somewhere below the tin can. I am sure some of you guys must have replaced the original unit with a more modern combined reservoir and body. Can I have some suggestions what to fit and where to purchase from without getting some Chinese rubbish.
Thanks Paul Kennedy

silverdart

Re: SP Master cylinder

Post by silverdart »

Unfortunately, in my experience, the replacements are not much better.

Not too long ago I bought a new tin can from B.T.,nicely painted black.

Within a few months the paint had all peeled off due to the outside of the can being permanently wet.

I have come to the conclusion that the top rim of the can is not correctly sealed and fluid escapes to remove the paint.

I have spoken to other owners and it seems I am not the only one with this problem.

Dave.

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I had exactly the same result with a 'tin can' that I bought from David Manners. Whoever manufactures them needs to find out with what Girling painted the originals.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I had trouble getting the cap unscrewed on my old one and the thin metal can twisted a bit.

I bought another from Barry T and it's the same thin metal with black paint. I haven't fitted it yet as the old one isn't leaking, I just got a fright at how weak the metal is.

Someone ought to make a stronger can.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Is there not a compatible master cylinder that combines the reservoir with the body. Not original I know but gets round the problem. I see on
the Demon Tweeks web site they sell a Girling reservoir in plastic that would replace the tin can providing the connector is the right thread, does anyone know the the thread size.
Paul

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Paulkennedy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 pm Is there not a compatible master cylinder that combines the reservoir with the body. Not original I know but gets round the problem. I see on
the Demon Tweeks web site they sell a Girling reservoir in plastic that would replace the tin can providing the connector is the right thread, does anyone know the the thread size.
Paul
The thread in the original master cylinder body for attaching the 'tin can' reservoir is 7/16" UNF. If the cylinder has ever been replaced it's possible the thread may have been changed on newer cylinders.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

If I am correct then the replacement cylinder with the integral reservoir needs to have the same bore as the original.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

JJC Race & Rally are who I use, Paul - this reservoir should fit
https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/kit-car ... -reservoir
or if you want an intergral cylinder,
https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/kit-car ... -autograss
The concern I'd have with an integral cylinder is the reservoir volume. Daimler didn't fit one although they were available, so it may be the volume is too low to cope with pad wear changes. My Gilbern has that problem and I've had to fit a reservoir extender.
I have the JJC reservoir and haven't had any problems.
Cheers,
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Wilf, I think the originals were never painted but possibly zinc or cadmium plated.

The reason the reservoir is separate to the cylinder body is that it needs to be offset due to the close proximity of the clutch reservoir.

Unfortunately brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper.

If a plastic reservoir is available as an alternative, that would be ideal.

Dave.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thanks everyone for your replies much appreciated. JohnM I think your suggestion is the way to go.
Paul