Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Radiator Expansion Tank

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Radiator Expansion Tank

Post by Salmons »

Have not got a tank yet but looked on Google again at the expensive £129 tank . Good thing I didn't rush to buy it as is actually a stainless steel header tank. It looked as though it fitted on top of the radiator header tank in which case there would not be enough room on the Daimler.

Dennis

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

As I said before you do not need to buy anything expensive. You do not need a pressure vessel with a pressure cap as in the photo posted as long as you fit the double sealed cap on the radiator.
Any bottle plastic or otherwise for the rad overflow to go into is all that's required.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

If I understand the "plastic bottle" approach correctly it means that the cooling system can't be pressurised.

I'm not sure why a cooling system needs to be pressurised, perhaps an erudite & knowledgeable forum member can explain it to a man such as I with a simple brain.

Anyway, the reasons I went the Stag tank route were (a) it takes the pressure cap from the V8 250 header tank (I fitted a sealing cap to the V8 250 header tank), (b) it has bottom entry for the coolant that overflows from the V8 250 header tank, (c) it is easy to mount & (d) it has an overflow outlet at the top. Thus it supports a pressurised cooling system such as the V8 250.
Best wishes, Dave B

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

When using the 'plastic bottle' expansion tank as outlined by Ian, the coolant system remains pressurised. The radiator retains a pressure cap but this must now be a 'recovery' type that has seals both against the radiator tank and at the top of the filler above the overflow vent. This allows the system on cooling to draw the expansion fluid back into the system instead of air. Only the expelled expansion fluid in the plastic bottle is at atmospheric pressure. It works well and I have just such an arrangement on my SP, albeit with a rather fancy stainless steel expansion tank rather than the plastic bottle.

Modern cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolant and thus avoid generating steam at engine hot spots which would seriously reduce cooling efficiency. Certainly many older cars managed adequately with un-pressurised systems but their thermal waste was much less than in modern cars.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

I can confirm Ian's suggestion works well, below are some pictures of my installation.

One of those Swiss Ally "Sig" mountaineer's drink containers wouild look a little more professional but I like something transparent to observe whats going on.

Regards
Rob C.
Attachments
IMG_20171215_115854.jpg
IMG_20171215_115906.jpg
IMG_20171215_115917.jpg

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Have bought an MGB overflow header tank the same as Robert Grinter has fitted in his car.

Will not fit until after the Festive Season.

Dennis

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

So my Fairy Liquid bottle I gave you not good enough then, Mr. Mynard............................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Normal for Norfolk

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Neil Dennis could not keep waiting for you to empty the bottle as fairy goes on and on far longer then Tesco washing up liquid. :lol: :lol: :o

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I understand Neil only has a Lidl washing up liquid.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Re: V8 250 Radiator Expansion tank
Edit Report this post Quote
Post by Salmons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 pm

To get back to my original request re Expansion tank. It was an MGB tank that Robert Grinter fitted to his ca, so I bought one and have now had time to start fitting it.

The bracket that came with it was not very helpful but have modified so that it can be fitted to the Battery retaining bracket. The tank is now temporarily in place ---BUT--- once fitted it will be impossible to remove the rear spark plug. So each time I need to clean or replace the plug will have to remove the expansion tank.

Robert has not yet sent me photos of his so not sure if he has the same problem.

Getting ready for comments from Fairy Liquid followers.

Dennis