Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

wing mirrors for an SP250

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

wing mirrors for an SP250

Post by daimlersteve »

What experience has anyone had with larger wing mirrors ? --- suggestions of donors or suppliers would by helpful , pics. too .
steve

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: wing mirrors for an SP250

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I always thought the wing mounted 'bullet' chrome mirrors looked great on the SP - mine wore them back in the '70's...
1-SP07.jpg
The downside was you couldn't adjust them from inside the car and even then you couldn't see anything in them anyway.

Door mounted mirrors are much more effective and recently I used the repro Lucas style mirrors...
Capture.JPG
..on the car...
1-P1210668.JPG
The trouble with these is the 'three screw' adjustment is still not practical from inside the car - plus the backs are stainless steel which doesn't sit happily with the chrome on the rest of the car.

Recently I've fitted these 'Tex Mini' bullet lookalikes - to the doors....
1-P1290103.JPG

The usual trouble with mounting bullet mirrors to the doors is that the nearside mirror head cannot be adjusted sufficiently to give adequate rear vision. The 'Mini' type however can be adjusted both on the head and the stem giving a much wider range of adjustment. Most of the current repros are also of stainless steel, but these I found from Bad Boy Classics (fourth row down on the right) are chromed throughout (and about half the price of some of the other Tex replicas). They're well made and easily adjustable from the drivers seat. The plastic bases need reprofiling to match the door contour - not difficult - and are interchangeable with original Tex items.

Rear view is very good...

Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I have two 'bullet' wing mirrors looking for a new home on another Dart. One was fitted for about two months and the other is still in its box so both as good as new.

No reasonable offer refused.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I use mirrors which attach to the window channels. Believe they were originally used on Minis.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Likewise. This is a question that seems to crop up fairly regularly. Mine came with racing mirrors mounted closer to the windscreen than on Nick's first picture, but even with the reduced distance they are fairly useless. Fitting the clamp-on type to the tops of the door window front channels positions the mirrors almost perfectly for good viewing, and avoids the need to bore horrible holes in lovely paint finishes. The round variety are larger and better than the rectangular type, and convex glass gives an even better field of view. I got these from Staffordshire Vehicle Components (s-v-c) who sell a useful variety of electrical and other things for classics. The photo may show the final result.
DSC00923.JPG
Regards

Geoff

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

I am after something a little larger than the clip on mini version. i find them a little small for instant decision making.
steve

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Guys
I ran my SP for 3 years in heavy traffic with only the standard interior mirror. Extremely effective plus a quick glance over right shoulder never led to a "problem" Have now fitted door mirror to drivers door; waste of effort as interior mirror at least offers equal field of view. Am now going to remove as generates too much wind noise at speed. So in my opinion don't bother with ANY exterior mirror of any sort. Save your pennies!!!!!
Kent

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

An overtaking mirror on the side window channel does catch a speeding overtaking motorbike which isn't visible in the interior mirror.