Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 - Screen wash switch and fuel reserve switch

Magnor

SP250 - Screen wash switch and fuel reserve switch

Post by Magnor »

I am close to the finish line in my restoration of my SP250 (I hope) but need some information. My car has screen wash and fuel tank reserve fitted along with the wiring. However as I purchased the car as a project it did not have the switches to operate either the screen wash of the fuel reserve fitted. Can anyone please post a picture showing position and type of switch for both items.
Thanks for help.
Clive

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 - Screen wash switch and fuel reserve switch

Post by simonp »

Hi Clive

I attach a picture of the dash switches taken from the Daimler accessory brochure that I have.
You will see the petrol reserve switch is on the left and the smaller push switch for the washers on the right. Both are on the LH side of the heater control.

SimonP
SP Dash switches.jpg
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Magnor

Post by Magnor »

Simon,
Thanks for the picture and your description. Just what I needed. Now I have to find the switches!
Clive

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The fuel reserve switch is an illuminated Lucas PS7. Equivalents are readily available, here for example.

The screenwash switch is a Lucas 31513.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
These are now as rare as rocking horse sh1t, although I do have (if I can find it) an unused new old stock example somewhere. A functional replacement is the example shown here together with its bezel. This differs from the original in that the bezel is chrome instead of white plastic
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Magnor

Post by Magnor »

Nick, Thanks as ever for your help. I have purchased the switches you listed.
Clive

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Magnor wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 am Nick, Thanks as ever for your help. I have purchased the switches you listed.
Clive
Pleased to help Clive. I don't know if you have the original switch mounting brackets - if not, they were individual rather crude pieces of cranked steel sheet that attached with screws to the back of the wooden dash panel....
Bracket.JPG
I found these a not particularly aesthetic solution and since I have the full complement of auxiliary switchgear (Reserve fuel, screenwash, heater air control and cigar lighter), I fabricated two small subsidiary dash panels mounted either side of the heater control...
1-P1290120.JPG
...which tidied things up a bit.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Strong men will blanche at what I'm about to "show and tell", but I'll do it anyway.

Having the dash completely dismantled for re-trimming, and a new stainless steel centre instrument panel obtained, it occurred to me, a little late in the day, that there was a way to eliminate the untidy original switches below the dash altogether, as the photo shows. It required a piece of engine turned aluminium sheet, a couple of extra Lucas toggle switches, a set of metal punches, and some time and care to measure and mark out the new positions of the switches.
DSC00932.JPG
DSC00938.JPG
The fuel reserve switch is on the extreme left, and the washer on the extreme right. The warning lights are, from left to tight, blue fuel reserve, red low oil pressure (it has a remote oil filter and a cooler) and yellow overdrive.

As I said it won't be to everyone's taste, but it is in the spirit of the original with a nod to pre-war cars and is more informative. I still have the new replacement panel, but I don't think I'll change to it any time soon.

The previous centre panel already had extra switches and a warning light fitted at random in more than one place, and a brief look at other SPs at various events confirmed that others are similarly afflicted with untidy non-original buttons, switches and warning lights. I think that a variation on the original theme is not only simpler and less untidy, but also more attractive and puroseful.

Cheers

Geoff

Magnor

Post by Magnor »

Nick, I do have two original brackets but as you say they are somewhat crude. Your solution does tidy things up and is not too obvious. I will investigate as soon as the wife lets me off Christmas duties!
Clive

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

As you say Geoff, tidy and well laid out but not original. One could almost say kit car esk!
Hope that doesn't offend but the lights remind me of car builders solutions.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Really love your upgrade Nick. You could go into production with that!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!