Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dunlop Sport Classic tyres

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Dunlop Sport Classic tyres

Post by New Dexter »

Does anyone have any reviews of the new tyre issued by Dunlop? Apparently they're available from Vintage Tyres.

Applicable sizes would be 165/80HR £129, 185/80VR15 £229 and 185/70 VR15 £189. All prices are exclusive of VAT

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Dunlop Sport Classic tyres

Post by tjt77 »

I've not read any reviews, but the appearance is vary similar to other 'offerings' out there notably the 'vredestein classic'.. the old dunlop SP sport was a great gripper in both wet and dry conditions with a distinctive tread pattern.. the downside was they had relatively short life.. 30k miles and less with aggressive driving . in my experience Michelins outlast all others and tend to stay in shape far better than most contemporaries ( i.e. they do not go 'out of round' easily)
Due to the shortage of choice and hence high cost of 185/80 section ties here, I keep finding 165/80 x 15 used as a substitute.. not enough rubber on the road for my sensibilities.. I often fit 205/75x 15 as an 'economy' tire as they are both plentiful as regards choices and inexpensive ( about 60% of the cost of a 'classic' 185/80x 15) .. my 'hack' ( a rather scruffy 2 1/2 litre saloon) has 205/70 x 15 tires fitted currently and they are doing well with over 30k miles on em so far and fairly even wear .. about $350 'out the door' fitted and balanced .
Id say no question that the cars steer and ride best with a decent quality 185/80- X 15 tyres .. worth the money..with Michelen XAS at the top of the chain..

soaringace

Post by soaringace »

Vintage Tyres stock both the Dunlop Sport Classic and the SP Sport Aquajet. Can't comment on the Classic but have had the SP Sports on my SP250 for a couple of years and am very pleased with them - very good grip and I'm not too worried if don't last as long as some others. Neither Dunlop tyre is cheap though, although sometimes they are on offer (which is how I got mine).

As well as the Vredesteins, it also worth considering Blockley radials in this size.

Alan

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

Once upon a time I had full profile Dunlop SP Sport on a 6J rim fitted to my SP. However if I drove too enthusiastically there was contact between body and tyre. The Dunlop is a wide tyre - 188mm - and I would suggest demands a 6J rim. I am in the process of putting my car back on the road and to avoid body/tyre contact I have looked a the Michelin XAS which woul fit on a 5.5 J but it is an expensive tyre and only "H" rated. I have also loooked at the Avon Turbosteel 185VR15 which is only 2mm wider than the XAS, 2mm shorter, cheaper and "V" rated. With the Avon tyre and 5.5J rim the clearance on the wheel arches would be increased by 12mm, so hopefully no more body contact.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

peterbee wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 am ..... I have looked a the Michelin XAS which woul fit on a 5.5 J but it is an expensive tyre and only "H" rated...
I'd certainly agree the XAS is an expensive tyre, but is the 'H' speed rating (130 mph) going to be a limiting factor on an SP ?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

Like Alan, I have Dunlop SP Sport 185VR15 91V tyres.
Mine are fitted on MWS 5" x 15 chrome wires and it seems a good combination. Good, confident grip in both wet and dry conditions - not that we ever go out in the wet! ;)
20160717_140138.jpg
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

Does anybody know if Dunlop does the RS5 tyre in 590/15 again in the near future. Its not available for some time.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

Dig-SP

Post by Dig-SP »

No problems with 195-60-15 on TR6 spec Dunlop wires
Cheers
Dig
Attachments
IMG_2651.JPG

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

That is the nearest spec for the overall diameter of the original Avon Turbospeed tyre Though the 185/15 SP is a great tyre its overall diameter is greater than original and will cause the speedo to under read, I had problems in the 70's with the 185 tyre, I was stopped on the M3 by a police sergeant in a van who insisted I was doing 85mph whereas I argued I was doing 70, ok possibly 75mph, fortunately he had no calibrated speedo or other legal method of indicating my speed accurately, we departed company with him grumpy :D
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

sp250c-dart

Post by sp250c-dart »

I have bought 4 Dunlop Sport 185VR15 and they seem to fit fine, although they look as though the rears could catch at the edge if the car went over a concealed dip in the road at speed. The other problem is they won't fit into the spare wheel enclosure as they are too wide to fit into the spare wheel recess in the area underneath the fuel tank.
Have others solved this by enlarging and re-fibre glassing this relatively small area to accommodate the extra tyre width and then making amendments to the boot board, or by using a smaller tyre for the spare wheel only and then using it like a "space saver" wheel on a modern car?