Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

saloon power steering questions?

PhilD

saloon power steering questions?

Post by PhilD »

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 67 car to power steering. Chassis No: 1A13236DN which was built in July 1967.

I have read some previous articles which outlined the two versions fitted but I'm struggling to find these again so thought a question may be quickest?

I believe that if my car had been fitted with the option this would have been the Adwest version rather than the initial Burman fitted to earlier cars.

On this assumption if I fit the Adwest version I have the following questions:

1) would I need to fit a different cross-member to suit the Adwest steering box?
2) Is the steering column different or can I still use the existing column?
3) Are the drop links different to the manual steering box set-up?

Appreciate any advice and input with regard to the changes required?

Cheers

Phil

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: saloon power steering questions?

Post by A.N.Other »

Is it your intention to stick with originality?
If not then an option may be electric power steering!
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Hi Phil, you are correct that your car would have been fitted with an Adwest system. From memory you will need :-
Adwest steering box, lower steering shaft, Idler arm, both knuckle joints, p/steering pump, modified engine mounting, a twin crankshaft pulley, input & output hydraulic pipes, , fluid reservoir c/w back plate, and resv-pump hose.
The Adwest box will not fit the beam, it needs cutting & correctly welding for it to fit, better to get later beam.
So its quite involved. When I did mine I purchased most of the parts from a club member, but had difficulty in getting the modified engine mounting.
Best rgds
Chris S

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Am I corect in thinking that Manners and/or other Jaguar parts suppliers can supply power steering conversion kits for the saloon? I have a faint memory of seeing one on one of the web sites.

If so would this not be a simpler route to take?

Regards

Geoff

Pinto

Post by Pinto »

Hi Phil,
I live in Australia and have fitted an EZ electronic power steering unit to my 64 saloon. It works very well and makes the car a lot more driveable in modern traffic. My car is a column auto and EZ supplied a column to allow me to swap over the gear selector on to the new column. Their service from Holland was fantastic the kit arrived at my address in Australia in less a week. They also supplied about 36 color photos as a step by step process on how to install the unit.
Regards,
David Bruce.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Thanks all for your responses.

In answering the points raised, I would like to keep the car as original as possible therefore fitting the original equipment would provide a very usable solution and I would overhaul pump and steering box before fitting therefore wouldn't expect much maintenance following that.

David Manners does an upgrade with a new rack but I believe this would be as much effort to fit as the original system.

I've also looked at the column power options which are easier to fit and I believe very effective. The other upgrade I would need to do for this is to replace the dynamo with an alternator. Again looking at the originality I could go down the route of the Dynamator (or equivalent) but there seems to be some issues regarding reliability?

So my analysis was to go down the original route which seems to work well and lasts well too?

Modifying the front cross member isn't a problem for me and considering the engine will be out shortly with a planned refurb of the front suspension means the work to upgrade is not excessive over what is planned anyway.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers

Phil

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If the motor is coming out then it would seem to make sense to go original.
I found the steering light on my 250 but you get used to it in no time.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Phil :Before making a decision I think you need to know that the standard PAS boxes were renowned for giving trouble, usually IIRC of the variety of the box being subjected to excess pressure on full lock and blowing the lid off . Others will be more knowledgable than I am on this, but I would advise research on this before committing yourself

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Phil. I have a V8 250 manual which is also not fitted with PS and I have looked at most of the options in the past, like you I want to maintain originality.

Several thing have come up during my research. The main thing apart from cost, is the load of work I need to do to make the conversion and although I have a pit and the tools, there is a great deal of heavy and difficult access work, with some welding, if I am to retain the current cross member. Even with second hand parts and the job is costly and quite a physical challenge.

I do less than 3000 miles a year. When I first got the car, the heavy steering was an issue, especially when parking in tight spaces, but with regular greasing, an extra 5 lbs of tyre pressure and Dunlop tyres, it is acceptable and less than a problem than I at first felt.

OK so Mrs Smith declines to drive the beast because of the steering, but she was never very happy with the lack of vision from the driver seat compared to her every day car, she is after all only 5'1''.

Having taken everything into consideration I am sticking with things as they are and now rather enjoy the extra feel I get from the none PS system and compared with the steering on my 1937 15 it's feather light.

But as they say each to his own. Syd

P.S. Some will question the extra tyre pressure, it does make the front end ride a bit hard and will affect wear, but for the few miles I do every year the tyres are still good after seven years.

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Like Syd I too initially (20 years ago) thought the steering heavy but with regular greasing of the steering components and especially making sure the steering box is FULL of oil (or Penrite steering box grease which I use) and a couple of extra lbs in the front (I use 32 F, 30 R - Michelins) I don't have a problem. OK, parallel parking may be a challenge but it's not impossible.

I have the whole frontend and PS (Adwest I think, anyway the one that requires the scallop in the cross member) from a V8 I wrecked a few years back with the intention of fitting it to the V8 250 but because I haven't found the steering too heavy I have never done anything about a refurb and fitting.

Recently drove a '65 2.5L V8 with PS and thought it too light!

What tyre pressures do you use Syd?

Cheers
Michael