Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

5 Speed Gearbox Installation

Crossley Stephenson

Re: 5 Speed Gearbox Installation

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I recently went through this exercise due to problems with the original gearbox. I looked at 5 speed conversion kits from AUS & NZ and the cost made my eyes water! It's not as simple as they make it sound unless you are a very competent engineer. I eventually went for the rebuild option and was fortunate to be steered toward Old Car Gearboxes here in Melbourne. My gearbox has been rebuilt with OCG modifications (they've been doing them since the 60s) - stronger 1st gear, better synchro on 2nd and modifying the dreadful tapered bolt on the fork. It all works fantastically and it's still a Daimler Sp250 not a DAIMOTA!

Cheers
Michael

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Hi Michael,
thats great to know that there's an upgrade for the std. box. They must cut their own first gear set to make it stronger.
steve

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

You lucky antipodeans! Why did no one think of that here? Do they supply the parts separately?

Geoff

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 am hiya sonus,
The larger Saloon bell housing makes it tight in an SP. Fly wheel is bigger as well as the starter position. What was the donor car for that particular t5 Sonus ? The stick is quite forward ( tvr only position i think ) The majority of boxes down this way are aussi or usa orig. eqiptment. I've modded several SP bell housings with a plate welded to the rear to accomplish the same as you have there. Am fitting one up next week to an SP.
Just as an aside --- what was the cost of Steves' conversion? All that said , Colin Dray at "Five speed Conversions has been threatening to make up a conversion for the SP/T5.
steve
The T5 is beleived to be from a TVR Tuscan Racer from the late 90s. Version 1352-248

Crossley Stephenson

Old Car Gearboxes do cut their own first gear and it has one less tooth so that all the other teeth are a little bit stronger. This makes no discernible difference that I can detect in driving.

They do not supply parts, they only rebuild. When I had my SP box done they were also rebuilding a couple of E-type boxes sent from UK.

Cheers
Michael

Crossley Stephenson

When I say 'no discernible difference' I mean to acceleration. It has definitely made a difference to the ability to select the first gear.

Cheers
Michael

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Yep, i thought that might be the case ( TVR Backset lever ) .

Re camshafts --- i had several cam blanks ( Round in cross section ) made up some years ago. These were made after consulting Russ Carpenter on what he did with the dragster engine. Basically taking the rear section of an org. cam ( from behind the last lobe ) spigotting and and press fitting and welding it onto a blank from there forward. The blank is heat treatable and comes up to 60 - 65 Rockwell hardness. the profile is ground 0.5 mm big, heat treated , straightened then finish ground. This gives the Base circle the ability to be as large as the journal . all the best engineering practice. The Chain wheel section is all fully machined as to standard sizes/keyway. Unfortunately the company went into liquidation shortly after this batch run for me.
If you want one ,as a blank, this can be arranged.
steve

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am Yep, i thought that might be the case ( TVR Backset lever ) .

Re camshafts --- i had several cam blanks ( Round in cross section ) made up some years ago. These were made after consulting Russ Carpenter on what he did with the dragster engine. Basically taking the rear section of an org. cam ( from behind the last lobe ) spigotting and and press fitting and welding it onto a blank from there forward. The blank is heat treatable and comes up to 60 - 65 Rockwell hardness. the profile is ground 0.5 mm big, heat treated , straightened then finish ground. This gives the Base circle the ability to be as large as the journal . all the best engineering practice. The Chain wheel section is all fully machined as to standard sizes/keyway. Unfortunately the company went into liquidation shortly after this batch run for me.
If you want one ,as a blank, this can be arranged.
steve
Very tempting, I'll send you an e-mail tomorrow ;)