Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Badge on Police Car

Bud

SP Badge on Police Car

Post by Bud »

So as I see the passing page top banners all the time I failed to notice before that there is a round SP badge on the grill to the right side of the V in the pic of the Police Car.
What was the original significance?
Are they available or rendered to unobtanium status.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP Badge on Police Car

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

It's a badge to mark the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the SP......
Capture2.JPG
They're probably all sold but it might be worth asking Laurence Jones if he has any left.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

soaringace

Post by soaringace »

They were a numbered limited run for the 50th anniversary - I think 50 officially were made but there may have been a couple more with the prototypes. They do come up for sale occasionally.

Alan

Bud

Post by Bud »

It in no way looks like the 50th badges that were made available then, of which I have 2.
Mine has no outer laurels, has a green field, a red SP, NO Daimler Motif and NO sequence #.
Club perk?

soaringace

Post by soaringace »

You're right Bud, the main batch of 50th anniversary badges were the coloured ones, which you see quite frequently. These numbered ones I think we're produced for/by Claude Kearley and quickly sold out.

Alan

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

These badges seem to have passed me by although I already had a DLOC grill badge (old type) and an NZ SP badge taking up space.

Am thinking 2009 is quite a long time ago and maybe we can enjoy some 60th anniversary badges in 2019 instead. I am sure they could make a contribution to passport funds. A variety of colours would be great to coordinate with the various car colours.

Wish the old Caxton Nameplate company was still around where I used to buy badges for the Club - all beautifully cast in a variety of colours.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Bud

Post by Bud »

If one of these 50th's pops up, I was here for it and would sure like to have one now that I am aware of them, but am ALL IN for a 60th version with Simon. Maybe Alan could nudge Claude for some input and a little more volume in the production numbers of badges made available or pre-orders for a known quantity and a better deal. Start the list with me if there is to be one.
I'll have to see about getting myself a badge for having that "OTHER" SP-250 for 40 years!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

simonp wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm Wish the old Caxton Nameplate company was still around where I used to buy badges for the Club - all beautifully cast in a variety of colours.
There are still quite a few firms making bespoke car badges to order, this one for example. Might be worth getting a quote? I suspect the Club would easily sell the minimum order of 25.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Hi Bud

I guess there might be a few up for an alternative SP badge - all the 450 brigade and others who have gone a little non standard!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi SimonP,

An "SP-250+" corner of the room, works for me, we're everywhere.
60th anniversary is diamond so maybe some diamond engraving or a small zircon in the "0" of the 60.
Whatever the choice I'm all for More Badges !!!