Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Banjo bolt removal

Jez

Banjo bolt removal

Post by Jez »

I'm taking advantage of a couple of days off work to remove a cylinder head from the Dart and check / clean up the coolant passages. I've got as far as trying to remove the banjo bolts for the rocker shaft oil feeds, but they doesn't want to play. A 1/2" spanner feels like it's going to slip and round the bolt, and whilst I can get a six sided 1/4" drive socket in there it's tight and no real leverage. I've given it a spray of WD40 for the evening and left it, but wondered if there were any words of wisdom with regards to shifting it.

It doesn't feel like coincidence that most of the inlet manifold studs on this head don't want to come out either - I've been using the 'double nut' trick but there comes a point where you think there's a risk of shearing the stud. Fortunately all the ones on the other side came out fine so I could wriggle the inlet manifold out.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Ian Hastings

Re: Banjo bolt removal

Post by Ian Hastings »

You have to be quite gentle as these banjo bolts can shear easily. Firstly try to tighten the bolt slightly, sometimes that unsticks the threads.

It is likely that in the past someone has used some form of sealant on the copper washers so try to direct some heat from a small blowtorch or jet lighter onto them but be careful you do not melt the solder joints or burn a hole in your bulkhead :o

WD40 is really not much use for anything so mix up 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid (ATF), you will find that the best.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

a 12 mm may fit the rounded 1/2 "

Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks guys. The ATF and Acetone certainly seems like good stuff. I also noticed this morning a small edge on the underlying washer which was stopping the socket getting square to the bolt. A little work with a file, also cleaning up the bolt edges, and it gently gave in.

The rest of the operation was fairly standard, but what I found maybe wasn't. I'll post that under a different thread........

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys