Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

External door handles

gc0700

External door handles

Post by gc0700 »

At some point in it's life, my SP appears to have been fitted with non-standard external door handles fitted (on the middle in the picture).
I've obtained new handles from David Manners (on the bottom in the picture).
As you will note from the picture, the old handle is longer than the new one, an issue which is easily sorted. As the position of the (presumably) original forward hole is still discernible.
But what is giving me more concern, is that the button mechanism that sits below the doors surface, is much shorter on the new handle, than on the old. And therefor the new handles mechanism will be too short to contact the "push" plate on the lock mechanism.
It does not look like the button mechanism is going to be interchangeable between old and new handles.
And it also does not look like the lock mechanism has been modified in any way (on top in picture).
Door handles
Door handles
So what am I missing to be able to make these new door handles work?

Many thanks
Tim

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: External door handles

Post by simonp »

All very strange Tim. Seems to me that both the handle and the lock mechanism may not be original so maybe try sourcing a new locking mechanism as well - more cost I know otherwise you will have to modify the mechanism length on the new handle.

Not a nice problem. My first thought was that you might have an early prototype with a different handle but this is probably not the case. I have found the wrong parts fitted on previous restorations - or they just used whatever happened to be about the workshop!

Good luck.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

You'll note your old (non-original) handle has a screw and lock nut protruding from the release button mechanism which engages the release plate of the door lock assembly. This will have been adjusted for length by screwing it further in or out until it adequately engaged the release plate and then locked with the nut. My standard handle has exactly the same arrangement and I presume you will be able to replace the short screw on your new handle with one long enough to operate the latch.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Co-incidentally there is an original SP door handle for sale on eBay at the moment...
s-l1600.jpg
You'll see it has the actuating screw I mentioned.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Nick,

Your quite correct, swapping the screw from the old to the new handle seems to create a mechanism that looks to be long enough. Although the long screw projection does seem a bit precarious.
The corresponding screw in the new handle is way to short to do the same job. Seems odd that it was supplied like that, if a long screw is really needed!
However as I'm part way through a preparing for a complete re-paint, it will be some time before I get a chance to try them out! But hopefully it's another item crossed off a long list of things to attend to.

Simon,

Thanks for your input. I did try looking for a new locking mechanism, hoping I could find a better picture than is in the parts book. But David Manners do not appear to have them available and I'd not got around to trying anybody else.
My car had one door with a scallop and one without and as I doubt that it came out of the factory like that, somebody has presumably done some work on the door(s) at some point.

Many thanks
Tim