Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 headlights / spotlights

captain bobo

V8 250 headlights / spotlights

Post by captain bobo »

I've just watched an old episode of Morse - in one scene his Mark 2 Jaguar was driving with both headlights and spotlights working at the same time.

With my V8 250, when I rotate the switch to the spotlight position the headlights go out - so I can have either headlights or spotlights but not both.

So I have some questions: is my set up for the V8 250 correct? Is the Daimler set up different to the Mark 2 Jaguar? Is the Morse set up right or wrong? Is the V8 2.5 setup the same as the V8 250?

Any inputs would be welcome!
Best wishes, Dave B

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: V8 250 headlights / spotlights

Post by Sydsmith »

Had to go and try mine out to be and sure enough, mine is the same as yours Dave, mine is a 68 model.

Some times it would be useful to have both, compared to moderns the good old Lucas sealed beams are a bit dull. Syd

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi Dave

My 66 V8 also switches headlights off when fogs are switched on.

I find this area of the circuit diagram somewhat confusing as it shows both a 3 position and 4 position switch. However ignoring the 3 position switch then it does show that if fogs are on then mains are off.

I would think it would be straightforward to modify this but I would be inclined to do this via relays with inline fuses.

Incidentally the headlights on my V8 are excellent as they appear to be halogens as far as can be seen through the glass. Since my car was originally supplied and Registered in New Zealand were halogens possibly standard or maybe they were modified there.

Happy Daimlering new year to all

Howard

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thank you gentlemen, it would seem than that our Daimlers are not the same as Morse's Jaguar Mark 2. I wonder if his Mark 2 had a standard lighting set up or it had a modification?

Do any forum members happen to know what the Jaguar Mark 2 standard set up is?

It would certainly be useful to have both spotlights & headlights working together!
Best wishes, Dave B

flying_fox

Post by flying_fox »

Happy new year,
When "Our Cars " were new in the (60's) the term to use was FOG LIGHTS -
Then we had "Pea Super fog" as to their use low dowm flat light was essential, bus drivers needed the ticket collector to walk with a torch
to show the curb -the clean air act introduction first attempt to stop burning coal particulary in the home.

The mk 2 Jag I thought had 2 air vents to assist engine cooling when original ?

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

The thick bumper Mark 2 jaguars had fog lights & headlights fitted. The subsequent Jaguar 240 & 340 models (the "thin bumper" versions - I owned a 340) had chrome grilles fitted in place of the fog lights but, from memory, there was no air inlet behind the grilles so I suspect they were purely cosmetic.

I think I might make a guest posting on the Jaguar Users forum and see what transpires.
Best wishes, Dave B

Paul Edginton

Post by Paul Edginton »

When I bought my V8 12 years ago the fog lamps had been fitted with spot lamps. These were fitted into the original Fogranger chrome shell and were fitted with 55 watt halogen bulbs. The wiring was as per normal only coming on with the main switch on F so they were of little use.
When I rebuilt the car I added fused relays to the lighting wiring and now the spots come on with high beam. It iheers not a good idea to put the current of 4 lights thru the dip switch. High beam is now up to modern car standards and all of the lighting are now fused unlike the std set up.
Cheers, Paul