Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Side Windows

NeilB

Side Windows

Post by NeilB »

I am reassembling my SP250 side windows. The rubbers in the lower channel, into which the glass is pushed, have perished beyond use. Is the best solution to bed the glass into external quality mastic? The inserts from the chrome window surround fell to bits when I removed them. Are replacements available or is the best way to also resort to using mastic for these?

CDemler

Re: Side Windows

Post by CDemler »

For the running chanel you need a piece of rubberto go inbetween.
The side of the window pointing to the outer side needs the rubber to be left longer.
This will give you a lip that closes the gap between the glas and the slot in the door to keep the water away.
Make shure the running chanel is glued in a straight position on the glas.
Do not use silicone or Acrylic. Polyurethan sealing compound is the best.I use Sabatak 750 or 760.
The chrome frame needs no extra rubber. You can glue it on directly.
Here again make shure the front and rear of the chrome frame are paralel.
I always put it between to wooden blocks which are fixed on the table.
The pieces of the chrome frame that hang over on the bottom need to be straight as well.
On. Ost cars they point inwards.
Hope this helps a bit.
Chris

Bud

Post by Bud »

What are the specs on the glass itself; type, grade, thickness, safety, laminated?
Thanks

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I will be very careful to see that the window surround sides are parallel. Is it the intention that the rubber on the outside face of the window channel is visible above the chrome trim when the window is raised or does it seal to the underside of the opening in the top of the door?

Many thanks

Neil

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

Hi Bud,

The glass is original and is not laminated.

Regards

Neil