Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Chassis rust protection

John-B
Site Admin

Chassis rust protection

Post by John-B »

Three years ago my Dart was restored and the chassis was taken back to bare metal and treated with "resin stoneguard" which I know nothing about, except that the result looked like grey paint.

Yesterday I noticed that the outrigger parts were showing orange discoloration, presumably the first signs of rust.

What's the best treatment without taking the body off? Presumably a steam clean, then what?

Is resin stoneguard any good?

Before the body-off restoration the chassis had waxoil which was sticky and messy for any work under the car and doesn't seem to have a good reputation as it covers up problems.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Chassis rust protection

Post by simonp »

John

I haven't had to do much to my chassis over the last 30 years and it has only had waxoyle put on and it probably needs doing again.

Once had to have the jacking point welded for the MOT - that's all.

The body has never been off and I have no plans in that direction.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Bud

Post by Bud »

Rust Never Sleeps.
Surface coatings only protect the surface treated. A better idea would be to submerge the chassis in a preventative or sealing solution or use wands of sorts to get inside the frame sections, making sure that there were weep holes to allow for void penetration and draining of said solution. POR 15 or BLACK DEATH as it is known to those who get it on themselves seems to be widely touted around here as we are in the salt belt of road treatment and residual effects on steel are quite well known. I have thinned it down to a wash for certain applications where I couldn't get a tool or brush to get it applied. Any of these preventative or coating products protect what they "cover and seal", less than 100% coverage is less that 100% prevention and protection.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Eight years ago I did a body off job and after welding I removed all the rust I could with some of those plastic covered wire brush pads on an angle grinder. I gave the bare metal two coats of grey POR15 primer and two coats of POR gloss black, all brush painted on.

I flooded the internals with Waxoil sprayed in with a long lance and with the chassis at a steep angle turned end to end and top to bottom to aid the flow.

That was as I say 8 years ago, the chassis is still almost completely rust free and where the paint was damaged during the rebuild it was easy to touch up.

This topic was raised many times on the old forum with loads of different ideas including dip galvanising, promoted by some as the ultimate protection but put down by others because of the extra weight.

My take on this is the original poor paint job gave poor protection but still lasted many years of general use, a well prepared chassis treated with modern paint and generally kept in a garage should out last the current owners. Syd