Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Body ID Tag

gc0700

Re: SP Body ID Tag

Post by gc0700 »

Mine has an engraved aluminium plate, but looking at the other pictures, I guess it's not the original!
Attachments
20180117_212024.jpg
Tim

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Nice neat job and I would say better than original Tim, but not for the purist perhaps.

The sort of thing Daimler would have fitted had they not been strapped for cash when they built the SP250's.

They fitted a nice engraved brass plate then added a cheap and nasty body number plate just above it, when I got my first SP I thought someone had bodged the body number tag.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

In the US even refitting an old body tag with new screws or rivets is regarded with suspicion by the registration authority. Making a new one with different letters is a real No-No.

It's safer to just clean one without removing it and spray around it.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

John-B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am In the US even refitting an old body tag with new screws or rivets is regarded with suspicion by the registration authority. Making a new one with different letters is a real No-No.

It's safer to just clean one without removing it and spray around it.
The tags were originally painted body colour. Are you suggesting that if the car is resprayed - even in the same colour - new paint on the tag could be a problem?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am The tags were originally painted body colour. Are you suggesting that if the car is resprayed - even in the same colour - new paint on the tag could be a problem?
Mine was painted over, but after restoration it was cleaned and refixed with new rivets over new paint. In US that would raise questions. I've been watching a lot of US programmes about classic cars (Wayne Carini) and at auctions the authorities often ask for special checks if the tags have been renewed or refixed, in case bodies are swapped I suppose.

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

I think that probably applies to the exotica featured on the TV, but with a run of the mill classic might you get away with it. Any of our US members have an opinion?

Kevin

Bud

Post by Bud »

When my car was re-framed I got a tag from Laurence for it and stamped it accordingly with the number on the original registration and riveted it to a convenient spot. No one knew that there was a body number or that I might need one when the cars' paperwork was submitted being as old as it was, so none was ever submitted. Other states and their requirements may vary.
So if replacements can be had I'll put one on the car, otherwise maybe some sort of replica to be safe if it ever comes to that.