Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Body ID Tag

Bud

SP Body ID Tag

Post by Bud »

Has anyone access to the type of metal strip number tag machine that was used to make the SP body tags? As you know the first three numbers were all the same 737-, having the number three with the flat top 45 deg angle back to the round half, but the three's used in the following set of  four actual body numbers used this three "3".  And they are on 7/8" tape with 3/8" hi letters. I am assuming I am not alone in this as the body I saved from the fields a while ago has its tag in such a rusted state that it was barely readable. Mine was gone before I obtained my car and it was through Laurence that I was able to identify my car. But still no tag just the info.

Any suggestions?

Kbeal

Re: SP Body ID Tag

Post by Kbeal »

I'd bet good money that the 'tags' were bought in blanks and the details were hand rather than machine stamped on to them using individual number stamps and a hammer! After all in the late 50's early 60's machines were more expensive than people and it's not like the Daimler works was producing thousands of cars per week.

cheers

Kevin

Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi Kevin,

I believe the tags were made on a Roots (type) metal tape machine and not hand stamped. I believe it may have been a bulk order on the original tags used with them all being 737- and individual run numbers done on the job with a machine with a different font since there is only one font style per machine and the numbers are aligned. Tag machines were in almost every machine production shop as well as line pole id tags etc., anywhere there needed to be serialization of bulk items, its just finding one available that is the chore.
The machines used today are 1/2" tape mostly, the type used to make seals for shipping containers and commercial truck trailer doors. Researching the Roots Co. has produced no results from contacting them about companies that might be using their machines, they are uninterested and unresponsive unless you are ordering materials from them. They still make the 7/8" tape so there must be machines out there to use it.

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

something like this => Image

form these guys. => http://www.durable-tech.com

Or ......

This seems a pretty good match => https://www.ebay.com/itm/222788192013

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I am surprised that the tags so far shown here bear no resemblance to the ones I have had on all four SP's I have owned over the years.

Yes they are punched or pressed out on a zinc strip, but all mine are/were very much larger than those shown so far, I can't get at my SP at present but will post a picture of my plate as soon as I can gain access.

From memory the numerals are at least 15 mm high. Syd

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Sydsmith wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 pm I am surprised that the tags so far shown here bear no resemblance to the ones I have had on all four SP's I have owned over the years.

Yes they are punched or pressed out on a zinc strip, but all mine are/were very much larger than those shown so far, I can't get at my SP at present but will post a picture of my plate as soon as I can gain access.

From memory the numerals are at least 15 mm high. Syd
Here's an original Syd ....
1-P1190594.JPG
......with the Daimler Co. plate to compare sizes.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Bud

Post by Bud »

Thanks Nick
That shows the distinct number three. All SP's bear that configuration. The number three on the brass plate is the other three used.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks Nick just as I thought quite a lot bigger than the punch machines produce.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

This shows the differing styles of 3 used on the tag.

Mike
Attachments
IMAG1182.jpg

Bud

Post by Bud »

Perfect example, Mike.