Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Steering wheel removal V8 saloon

KV8

Steering wheel removal V8 saloon

Post by KV8 »

Hi

About 18 months go I posted on here under a similar topic as I had bought a leather steering wheel glove that would be easier to fit with the steering wheel removed. My concern then was ease of refitting.

However I never got round to fitting the glove.

Since working in the garage at the moment for any length of time even with a fan heater is a non starter I decided that one job I could do was to at least remove the steering wheel and then fit the glove in the warmer climes of our utility room.

The manual starts by saying remove the back horn ring cover which is clipped on. Since there is no back cover I assume one reads black for back!? I tried to remove the (front) cover to no avail and using a flat bladed screw driver for leverage seemed to endanger the plastic.

There are four screws on the back of the steering wheel - 2 either side of the column. What do these do ? Should they be removed first?

The exploded parts diagrams do not show an detail of this assembly.

Any tips for removing the horn ring and its cover will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Howard

captain bobo

Re: Steering wheel removal V8 saloon

Post by captain bobo »

I had some problems with the steering column three years ago & took the car to Robert Grinter who fixed it. If you don't get an answer through this forum it might be worth giving him a call for some guidance and advice.
Best wishes, Dave B

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Remove the 4 slotted screws from the back of the steering wheel centre and remove the black plastic (probably Bakelite) centre cross piece, don't lose the horn button or spring as you remove it! You will now see the screws that hold the chrome horn ring in place, remove these. The centre nut that holds the steering wheel to the steering column should now be accessible-,15/16" or 1" socket required.

Good luck,
Michael

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Many thanks - yes that's done it :D

Bit awkward to get screwdriver into the screws on the back of the steering wheel even at full extension but got cover and horn ring off this morning.

Have not removed nut at top of column as yet as going to see friend in hospital this afternoon.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

OK removed nut securing steering wheel to column last Friday but wheel would not come off of splines even with big thumps with fist and block of wood. So filled recess with WD40 and left to soak have tried 3 times since to remove but to no avail even with WD 40 top ups.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Have you undone the nut for the adjustable column, not quite sure where it is on the saloon but it has the same locking mechanism as the SP but the locking fingers are not inserted in the wheel like the SP but remote under the dash.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Thanks Ian

Sorry for delay in reply but been away for a few days.

I assume you are referring to the knurled ring that one slackens to adjust the steering column? Yes this was fully unscrewed but steering wheel does not come off splines.

Hopefully problem is solved as the accomplished seamstress to whom I am married reckons that she can fit the glove in situ given a good sunny day when I can get the car out on the drive to give good lighting :D 8-)

Thanks to all for help - however hope I do not have to remove steering wheel for another reason in the future!

Howard