Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Distributor Wobble....Is it OK?

Reedweaver

Distributor Wobble....Is it OK?

Post by Reedweaver »

I have a fair amount of 'wobble' on my SP250 distributor. All the bolts are tight and the car starts and runs fine all the way up to 3000rpm+.

Should I be concerned at all, is this normal?

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Distributor Wobble....Is it OK?

Post by Christopher Storey »

If you mean there is side play in the shaft i.e. you can move it by hand from side to side then it is most definitely not ok except in the short term because it will be next to impossible to achieve accurate dwell settings and accurate ignition timing . The usual cause is a worn bronze bush where the shaft comes through the distributor body. If there is no static side play but the rotor arm is moving eccentrically, then the situation is worse because it suggests that the shaft is bent, and I would think it is impossible to straighten that with sufficient accuracy

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

There is no play in the shaft when I move it by hand. When the engine is at idle you can see the whole distributor moving from side to side..

I will take a short video and see if I can host somewhere..

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced any kind of movement in their distributor..

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

The centre shaft is bent. .Have sorted a couple like this. one had the advance plate brazed to correct slop ,bent the shaft with the heat..

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

As Steve says bent shaft, it only needs to be a fraction out, they do work like that but will only do more damage if you don't sort it.

Second hand ones do appear on fleabay if you want to take the easy way out, but they are fetching good prices now, be careful what you buy you might end up with one needing work any way.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

The Distributor Doctor may be able to refurbish it for you............................
Normal for Norfolk

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

OK, thanks I will attempt to find another from Barry T or flee bay.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Personally Id jump on this right away.. sounds like a bent shaft in dizzy..which will cause more problems if not sorted out .. the brass drive gear wears enough in normal situations.. you do NOT want added stress on any of these parts.. replace the distributior with a rebuilt and tested unit from a reputable source asap..

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

It will wobble if installed 180 degrees out ie large "D" forced in on the small "D" side of the oil pump drive....
If so, shift all plug leads by 180deg or remove oil pump drive and locate correctly.

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

I'll remove and see whats going on at the weekend. Thanks for all the help!