Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

sparkplugs

raw

sparkplugs

Post by raw »

service time nearly here .any pref on plugs have used the champion n 8s with no probs a suggestion was made to me to try NGK .a local restorer was of the opinion NGKs perform poorly on older cars any suggestions?

Kbeal

Re: sparkplugs

Post by Kbeal »

I’ve used NGK plugs for 20 years in my SP with no problems to date. BP6ES I think without going to the spares box to check.

Kevin

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Impressed by the recommendations for them I switched to NGK plugs over 10 years ago. There followed three sets in an attempt to eliminate rough running. After a rolling road test which confirmed the presence of problems I took the heads off only to find little of note. The heads were refurbished with new valves and guides anyway. After reassembly the misfriring remained. At that point I replaced the third set of NGKs with Champion N5 (the current recommended plug) and the misfire disappeared and hasn't returned.

I won't ever trust NGK again; there are many who disagree however and think they're wonderful, not having shared my experience.

Regards

Geoff

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

The thing is, Geoff, I shared a similar experience the other way round and ended up ditching misfiring Champions for NGKs.

I have ruin them in everything from 1930s to 1970s cars and find them excellent.

BP6ES will suit most cars from 1930s - 1970s.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

I recently had a misfire and needed to replace sparkplugs.
I found " Carparts 4 Less" on the web. 8 x NGKBP6ES for £13.20 inc. free delivery.
Great value and cured the misfire.

Dave.

raw

Post by raw »

opinions differ greatly on this subject .my experience with ngk s fitted to a e type i once owned witch ran uneven as i stated a restorer told me to ditch the ngks for champions curing the poor running .think i will stick with the champions thankyou for all your replys

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I've used both and had no problem with either. In my experience plugs rarely give problems on four strokes but I've had a few issues on old two strokes. Surely all spark plugs must be fit for purpose?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

Apologies for raising an old thread, but have been going through the historic topics finding them very useful and intuitive being new to the Daimler V8 saloons.

I note that mention has been made of the BP6ES for use in the V8 saloons, but I was under the impression that the NGK plugs should be B6ES - with the "P" indicating a slightly longer nose; perhaps on these cylinder heads B6ES and BP6ES make no difference ??

Ironically the NGK spark plug catalogue indicates the B5ES for use with the 2.5 V8 & V8 250 covering 62-69. However that seems to be thrown in to confusion as the NGK cross reference for the Champion N8 plug is B6ES; along with the same reference for the N5 and N6. The N7 plug coincides with the B7ES.

I have attached the catalogue FYI and perusal, it's actually an interesting publication in its own right with a lot of tech info but pitched at an understandable level:
www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/NGK_Classic_Vehicles.pdf

The SP250 shows B6ES.

Having recently accquired a 1968 Daimler V8 250 and a full service looming, I would be interested to know what others think on the above.

I'm a big fan of NGK having used them on Sunbeam Alpines and Triumph Vitesse's - in particualr both running on BP6ES, even though a 5 rating is indicated for the Vitesse.

Many thanks.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

There appears to be one snag with NGK, which is that the insulators seem to be unglazed . As a result, if at any stage the plugs are flooded , it is virtually impossible to eliminate the resulting misfire. After failure of my electronic ignition ( never again ! ) , I still had a misfire on one plug after 80 miles getting home . Throwing them all away and using Champions instead , and touch wood I have not had a miss since

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Ebay is known to be an outlet for Chinese copy NGK sparkplugs.

Click the link below.

Steve.