Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Petrol pipe routing V8 250

captain bobo

Petrol pipe routing V8 250

Post by captain bobo »

Can anyone describe in detail the routing of the petrol pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel filter please. Are there any joints in the routing? What materials are used? Is it easy to access all parts of the routing? Where, if anywhere, might there be a risk of fuel leakage?

My thanks in advance to those knowledgeable forum members who might be able to help me.
Best wishes, Dave B

Warsash 2

Re: Petrol pipe routing V8 250

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
The fuel pipe is copper in the engine bay. With modern volatility of petrol and if you fit a S/S exhaust I would advise that you insulate the pipe. I used the material that is used is insulation sleeve used on hydraulic pipes on diggers and the like.
regards

Colin

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thanks for the comment.

I've got the under bonnet area sorted, it's the routing from the tank to the bonnet area that I am interested in. If anyone has any information on this aspect I'd be very grateful.
Best wishes, Dave B

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Warsash 2 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 pm Hi
The fuel pipe is copper in the engine bay. With modern volatility of petrol and if you fit a S/S exhaust I would advise that you insulate the pipe. I used the material that is used is insulation sleeve used on hydraulic pipes on diggers and the like.
regards

Colin
Hi Colin

Interesting......

AFAICS the fuel line is copper from the pump to the filter but have not inspected over entire length. However please explain why fitting an SS exhaust requires one to insulate the fuel pipe? Also at what point and over what length is insulation required.

I have a Bell SS exhaust.

Thanks

H

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I have no definite proof it is either the fuel or the S/S exhaust. After fitting it my car suffered fuel vaporisation as had one of my friends. The length I insulated was from the filter down to where the exhaust and the fuel line part company and where I assumed the air flow under the car would keep the fuel lines at ambient temperature. All I can say is after fitting it I had no further fuel vaporisation problems. It could of course be that the new exhaust passed near to the fuel lines and the insulation just masks the fault. Anyway it worked so what the hell!
Regards

Colin

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Sorry Dave my V8 250 is blocked in the garage behind my daughters furniture ( "I wont need it till the spring") so tied up for a few months otherwise I would look for you.

I take it the workshop manual is no help, mine is in the boot.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

from fuel pump at rear to fuel filter on r/h side inner wing, the pipe runs under front of boot floor just aft of axle, then along the r/h chassis leg and is secured by spring clips that go through holes in chassis every 2' or so (similar to those clips holding brake pipes to inner wing) Ive never seen copper fuel pipe on these cars.. it was originally a semi clear plastic meterial.. unlikely to have any 'evaporation' issues underneath the car as long as pipe is correctly routed..its well away from heat sources apart form where it comes from chassis rail up to inner wing and is fairly close to the exhaust downpipe for about 8".... under bonnet from filter to carbs different scenario.. commonly a plated steel pipe that can be improved by insulating it ..especially in hotter climates..

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thanks for the inputs, very helpful. The car is a very tight fit in my garage, but as soon as the weather is kinder I will get her out and check that the routing is correct.

Has anyone had any issues with corrosion or leakage of the fuel pipes underneath the car?
Best wishes, Dave B

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

in reply..never any issues with corroded fuel lines under the car.. commonly they are made of a plastic material.. there are many other issues that can cause fuel starvation.. including :- chocked or partially choked fuel filter in bottom of fuel tank.. debris in the actual fuel pump body (which has a fine mesh filter inside it, best accessed by removing pump and removing the hex head filter nut at bottom of pump body) and a weakened pump that cannot supply sufficient volume or pressure for fuel.. also be aware that the quality of float valves varies even if you purchase them from Burlen fuel systems.. the most common issues is that they stick .. both in closed and open positions...the brass valves with stainless steel inner with butyl tip tend to be the least problematic.. IF your fuel system is squeaky clean ( i.e. no rust or crud particles present.. or you have had the feel tank cleaned and sealed) the US made 'gross jet' replacement float valves are very good.. they have a different design utilizing 2 ball bearings to regulate flow.. they work very well and last forever, as long as there are no crud particles in fuel, which will prevent them from closing properly, leading the the same issues as with the SU valves..sticking open, allowing petrol to escape from overflow pipes.. a potential fire hazard..