Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel filter to carbs hose, 2.5 V8

Alpine Daimler

Fuel filter to carbs hose, 2.5 V8

Post by Alpine Daimler »

I am about to try once again to replace the fuel filter to carbs hose, the last attempt failed due to new braided hose being completely blocked at one end, funds were promptly refunded.
Having removed original plastic hose it is clearly has 2 different diameters, the short hose is a little smaller in dia than the feed hose from the filter.
I am inclined to obtain modern fuel hose material and clamps and make up my own if they are suitable and heat resistant!
Can anyone tell me what the correct internal dia the hoses should be? Trying to measure the fittings through the old translucent hose with a vernier they would seem to be about 8.5mm (5/16"?) and 10,0 (3/8"?)
I would like to know this before I cut off the old pipe to the fittings and render them useless for further use should it once again be necessary to refit it although I am very reluctant to re-use the orig. hose again!
Regards
Rob c.

Ian Hastings

Re: Fuel filter to carbs hose, 2.5 V8

Post by Ian Hastings »

Take your old hose into your local motorfactor and they will match it up for you. ;)

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, from filter it is 5/16" and to carbs is 1/4". I would be tempted just to buy a metre length of each, often the cheapest way to buy it.
It is personal choice but I think that the stainless braided stuff is often poor quality and looks out of place with normal pipe clips. To make it look half right it should be proper hydraulic hose with crimped ends and olive type fittings.
The nylon pipe originally fitted looks best. It is construed to be a sin to have it fitted now by members on safety grounds but I disagree. Yes it does go brittle after many years but only a very poor service regime would allow it to get in such a state. If like most fuel line perishable item, cork, rubber or plastics, it is considered a consumable item then it is a good option.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

KV8

Post by KV8 »

The currently recommended specification for Ethanol resistant fuel hose is SAEJ30 R14 which is resistant to up to 10% Ethanol fuels. It replaces the R6 and R9 types which are for up to 5%.

HTH

Regards

Howard

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Thanks for your responses, you were right Col, they are indeed 1/4" & 5/16".
Got the hoses today Spec DIN 73379, internal dia. 5,5 & 7,2 mm.
Regards from Munich.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi Rob

I trust the hoses you got were the DIN 73379 -3E variant which apparently is the same spec as SAEJ30 R9

I found this website made interesting reading.

I actually have the Gates Barricade fuel pipe in use now for over 3 years with no sign as yet of ethanol degradation.

HTH

Howard

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Howard, thank you very much for performing the necessary "Due Dilligence" on my behalf or at least encouaging me to do just that following your very useful post.

What I have bought is not up to muster at all, this in spite of the hoses being supplied by Germany's foremost Motor Factor Stahlgruber and described as suitable for petrol as seen here : https://kunden.stahlgruber.de/Kataloge/ ... p?sb=15752

I was very suspicious as the hoses were less than €2,00 /Meter and following your post I googled "COHLINE 2122" which along with the DIN spec is also printed on the hose, the results are very unflattering!

So following your sound adviuce I shall now be ordering the exact spec you mention seen here which I am sure are correct and have a more plausible price tag, alsewhere they cost up to 3 times more! : https://www.schlauch-profi.de/kraftstof ... er=9351506

The website you mentioned made for useful reading, especially the advice given re clamps, I shall also be ordering the type they recommend.

I never reckoned with such a challenge just for the fuel pipe updating, as always good advice to be had here.

Many thanks and have a good weekend all of you!

Rob C.

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

It does not matter whether you have a V8 saloon or an SP50 or any other vehicle of that era there seems to be a lot of concern regarding fuel hose. One of several on the market is the Gates Barricade Green Shield - 4219BG which satisfies SAE 30 R14 which has already been said is the latest standard. Avon Greenbar 700 and Parker Super-flex FL-7 are others. The question is who stocks them? I can buy Barricade but only satisfies R9. In previous posts members have said they have in line filters between the tank and the pump. Could you be more specific. How many microns? Ideally we need a stainless steel body with a washable stainless filter and non barb connections so the hose liner is not damaged.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

for those in USA, Gates barricade is stocked by both 'Napa' and 'OReilly' parts stores... I can confirm it is high quality and holds up well ..
there is a tool commonly sold at home improvement centers that consists of a knurled rod on the gripping end and stepped 'business' end for expanding small tubes .. very useful to have when fitting flex lines that require slightly different diameter fittings.. the 5/16" barricade hose will expand to fit a 3/8" fitting with this tooled employed.. very difficult, if not impossible without it.