Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Unusual steering rack on SP250

Jez

Unusual steering rack on SP250

Post by Jez »

This post is more by way of information in case anyone comes across the same issue. Some of the experts here may be aware but the knowledge doesn't seem to be on the forum.
The rack on my Dart had a small amount of up and down play at the nearside tie rod, which is a fairly common sign of the bush in the end of the Triumph rack needing replacement. The racks for the Spitfire, TR4-6 and 2000/2500 saloons (manual rather than PAS) have all been used in the Dart and all share a similar design but differ in terms of rack and tie rod length.
Whilst trying to identify which type of rack I had, the following website was useful - https://www.tsoaq.org.au/index.php/triu ... ring-racks - but seemed to suggest I had a 2000/2500 rack and TR6 tie rods. Tie rods are measured from the end to the centre of the ball whilst racks are measured end to end, which give or take a shim or two is pretty much equivalent to measuring from the inner end of the ball.
Conversation with helpful Triumph guru Chris Witor - http://www.chriswitor.com - revealed that the manual Triumph 2000 rack is 43" between the tie rod ends. However, apparently Phil Glennester at Automec made up some bespoke units for his SP250 rack conversions using a 2000 rack with shortened tie rods to give a total length of 41.7", 1060mm and this is what I have.
I also commented to Chris that, since I have changed to a neutral camber set up by putting spacers under the front lower wishbone mounts, there was a less than ideal amount of thread doing into the track rod end. He is able to supply bespoke rods of whatever length is required, allowing me to add the necessary extra for mm for additional peace of mind.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Unusual steering rack on SP250

Post by daimlersteve »

the std. 2.5 will do the job , depending on the aftermarket tie rod ends the thread may need shortening 10 mm . It depends on the depth of thread and the length of the tie rod end ( not all are the same ). I noted on a recent uk to nz import conversion using solid mounts that the off-side (rhd) pre-load plastic plug. has not been allowed for in the conversion kit. A mod is rqd. to the alloy mount at that end to facilitate this.

steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Fact is, i;ve yet to meet anyone who knows about the plug. A look at an unmolested triumph 2.5 rack rubber mount will show the withness of the plug indenting the mount.
The so called worn out end bush is usually just missing said plug . The solid mount conversion didnt have provision for the plug. I drilled and tapped a 1/4 "hole in the appropriate place ,counterbored the inner half , inserted a 5mm thick rubber punching in the counterbore to tension the plug, then screwed in a Allen screw with a lock nut to pre load it from the top... All very clear eh . The only way i could see to reproduce the org. concept of reducing slop in the bush at that end of the rack.
steve

Jez

Post by Jez »

The rods Chris is having made up for me will effectively achieve as the suggestion of cutting the ends off, though I'm leaving them a little longer to allow for the additional length resulting from the change to neutral camber.
The point regarding solid mounts is a good one though. My solution was to drill into the mount sufficiently to allow space for the bung whilst keeping a little pressure on it. I like Steve's adjustable solution though!

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys