Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 heater

Crossley Stephenson

V8 250 heater

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I know the Smiths heater fitted to the V8 250 (and may other British cars) is hardly the most efficient unit and to be fair the one in my car does produce some heat. I also know we here in Oz hardly need the heater at all; there is generally enough heat coming through the fire wall and our winters aren't that cold. Having said that I think I should at least make it work as efficiently as it can. I have refurbished a few over the years, usually with good results.

My question is: when I refit the heater should it have a hardura covering? I have seen some with and some without. What is correct?

I suppose logically a hardura covering would hopefully mean more of the warm air produced actually arrived in the cabin and didn't just dissipate throughbthe casing.

Cheers
Michael

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 250 heater

Post by Salmons »

I think the Hardura covering is original, fitted when new.

Dennis

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Hi Michael, originally Harduda was fitted to the heater, but very quickly curled up at the edges, very unsightly. When I overhauled my heater, I used a modern stick- on insulating material, on the INSIDE. This allowed the outside to be cleaned up and resprayed. Not original, but looks so much better than the hardura would have after 3 years.
Also ensure the heater water valve fully opens when HOT is selected.
To encourage the water to go through the heater, rather than take the path of least resistance through the inlet manifold, I placed a coin drilled with a 1/4 inch hole in the system, just as the water enters the front face of the inlet manifold. A hole is required to allow the water to circulate when the engine is cold and the heater is off.
Finally make sure the fresh air flap is fully open, if it's not the associated internal flap will but be fully closed, so allow cold air to enter the car without going through the heater. This associated flap allows the heater to re circulate the cabin air, when the fresh air flap is closed.
Hope this helps, especially members in colder climates.
Chris
V8 Saloon Registrar.

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks Chris. I like the idea of putting the insulation inside; much neater. Surprising that Daimler (Jaguar MK2 also?) put the Hardura on the heater - MG and many others didn't bother. I'm using a new Manners supplied heater valve.

There are some here in our warmer climate that suggest the heated manifold is unnecessary anyway so putting a restrictor in to encourage the water to flow to the heater is worth thinking about.

My external flap appears to open fully but I'll have to have a look to see the 'associated internal flap' and what it does. Are they connected?

Cheers
Michael

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Hi Michael, yes they are. As the outer flap opens, the inner closes, and visa versa. The inner flap is very difficult to see. It's an upside down, head in the footwell, looking up job.
Best rgds
Chris

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Giving it a good back - flush with the garden hose to get rid of any grottin inside will help too, if you haven't done that already. Michael.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Pinto

Post by Pinto »

Hi Michael,
From what I have been able to find out only the Daimler saloons had the Hadura covering on the heater box. First time I have seen the covering material by name. I think this a another small upgrade to make the Daimler more up market than the Jaguar of the day.
My car has the covering in place but is curling at the edges. Not sure of the best fix as I would to leave it in place.
Regards,
David B.

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks Neil. Have given it a good flush a did get a bit of crud out. All good now water flows freely in both directions.

Dave, mine had the Hardura covering but it was curling at the edges. It won't have Hardura when it goes back!

Cheers everyone from sunny & warm Melbourne (no heater required today!)
Michael

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I'm not jealous of your sunny warm weather when it's minus 2 here today............................

Think i might go for a quick dip in the North Sea...............................
Normal for Norfolk

Crossley Stephenson

I found another heater amongst all the bits I have collected; I think it's beyond repair. However it does show the hardura cover and a rubber edge presumably designed to stop the edges curling and looking unsightly. Never seen this before.
Cheers
Michael
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG