Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Dart SP250 Door Glass

DaveM

Daimler Dart SP250 Door Glass

Post by DaveM »

Hi All,

Unfortunately I managed to break my door glass, totally my fault so I can't blame anything/ anybody else. I had to make up a template and get another window made. The original toughened glass is 5mm thick (probably 13/64” imperial) however the glass industry nowadays only produce either 4mm or 6mm. One of the problems with toughened glass is that although you can hit the flat surface with a hammer any slight impact to the side will shatter it, even slight contact with a sharp edge, therefore its best to use 4mm as trying to get the chrome edging onto 6mm would more than likely shatter it during the process. I’ve found some excellent adhesive (BondIt PU18) in grey which works perfectly with the chrome edging and invisibly hides the 0.5mm gap left either side.

Price for replacement I thought was quite reasonable, £30.00 for 4mm toughened glass cut to template with arrised edge (blunted before toughening)

If you find yourself in the same position I've attached a jpg of the full size template, applicable to either side obviously (wilf "dragon" on the forum has a pdf if preferred) print on D Sheet Paper 22" x 34" then transpose to some hardboard as a pattern for the glaziers.

Hope it helps someone out in the future, free to use non-commercially

Cheers Dave
Daimler Dart SP250 Door Glass.JPG
Last edited by DaveM on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Dart SP250 Door Glass

Post by simonp »

Am thinking Barry Thorne might have been able to supply an original window.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

DaveM

Re: Daimler Dart SP250 Door Glass

Post by DaveM »

I did try all the usual source rather than going through the hassle of self fabrication but unfortunately there are none available bar a couple old scratched ones.