Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Tyre Choice Limited

Reedweaver

SP250 Tyre Choice Limited

Post by Reedweaver »

I am finding the tyre choice limited to either re-mortgaging for 180HR15 Michelin XAS or having a 185/65/15 fitted. I have Dunlop wires on 5 1/2" K rims with 185/65/15 tyres at the moment.

I have re-worked the front suspension on my Dart with new coils/shocks etc and now I have more space between the arches and the 185/65 look a little lost. I really need a 185/80/15, but I don’t have much clearance on the driver side due a fibreglass rebuild 20 years ago that wasn’t quite done right! I can see the Dremel coming out...

I have searched the forum and found a lot of posts regarding tyre choices. Has anyone had any experience with the Vredestein Sprint Classics(£130 each) or the Retro Classic 001s (£100 each).

I am looking to spend around £700 for 5x fully fitted with rim tape and offset tubes etc. I have a 42mm balancing cone for the wires as well.

Any recommendations for other would be much appriciated!

John-B
Site Admin

Re: SP250 Tyre Choice Limited

Post by John-B »

Reedweaver wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 am I am finding the tyre choice limited to either re-mortgaging for 180HR15 Michelin XAS or having a 185/65/15 fitted. I have Dunlop wires on 5 1/2" K rims with 185/65/15 tyres at the moment.

I have re-worked the front suspension on my Dart with new coils/shocks etc and now I have more space between the arches and the 185/65 look a little lost. I really need a 185/80/15, but I don’t have much clearance on the driver side due a fibreglass rebuild 20 years ago that wasn’t quite done right! I can see the Dremel coming out...

I have searched the forum and found a lot of posts regarding tyre choices. Has anyone had any experience with the Vredestein Sprint Classics(£130 each) or the Retro Classic 001s (£100 each).

I am looking to spend around £700 for 5x fully fitted with rim tape and offset tubes etc.
I was in a similar situation in 2015 as I also thought the Pirelli Cinturatos looked too small in the wheel arch and I had just bought some steel wheels 5" and 5.5". I also thought Michelin XAS tyres too expensive, so I bought Vredestein Classic Sprint 185 HR15 91H tyres that have a larger diameter 674mm 26.5" dia from Oponeo at £320 for four (2015). They also make 89H 641mm dia. 25.24" dia but I preferred the 91H.

They look a bit agricultural compared with the smoother tread of the XAS and a post on the old forum said the Vredestein tended to wander but I haven't found that they do. The conclusion was that the XAS was better but a lot more expensive. For limited mileage and no racing, the Vredesteins are perfectly OK.

I had tubes fitted and the wheels balanced.

I ran them at first at 28psi as at 31psi on bad roads the car seemed to jump. However, recently I decided the effort to turn corners was a bit high so I've set them at 30psi.

I've never had a problem with the front tyres touching anything but the turning circle may be a bit less, but it isn't a problem. Note, you may find that the larger tyre doesn't fit in the boot space, so I use one of the smaller Pirelli Cinturatos as a spare.

Years ago, in 1970, I got 185/15 Avons fitted and the tyres hit the rear wheel arch over bad bumps, but the springs were soggy then. I increased the bump stop with a spacer.

Pirelli Cinturatos in cream 4" wheels, then Vredestein 185/15 tyres in 5" front and 5.5" rear silver wheels.
p154093832dartsidef4015001024x768.jpg
p159274086dartwiltonwakeupf4011001024x768.jpg

Jez

Post by Jez »

I have the Vredestein Sprint Classics and have been very pleased with them. I have set the front suspension camber to approx zero degrees, but otherwise everything is standard.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

Many thanks, the pictures are great!

I may well indeed go with the Sprint Classics..

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Around half the Darts on the 2014 Scottish Tour were shod with Vredesteins, they seem very popular.

Have you looked at Blockleys? Another possible size is 185/70R15, not quite as high as 185/80 but they look good. I think Blockley do both sizes.

If your rear axle is well centred and your rear springs are firm you may be able to fit 205/70x15 on the back, really chunky!

Regards

Geoff