Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 mirror.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

SP250 mirror.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The DLOC are hoping to get new rear view mirror stems made.
The problem is that to do this I will need the loan of one for about a month to enable tooling to be made.
With spring coming many owners will be enjoying the use of their car and will not want to spare the one already fitted.
Hopefully someone might have one from a car they are restoring or a broken one they might not miss in the short term.
If anyone is able to help please let me know.
Many thanks Marcel.

raw

Re: SP250 mirror.

Post by raw »

I replaced my original mirror so you are quite welcome to use my old one as a pattern .

David S

Post by David S »

I also have a stem that could be used - if you need it please let me know.

I don't know how to fit a glass assy to it and hope the solution you come up with enables me to get a mirror for my stem.
[I;m currently using an early Rover P4 convex mirror mounted on the top of the crash rail and it does the job well]

David

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I hadn't realised that mirror stems were currently unobtainable. Mine is fine but the problem I have is finding a replacement glass for the head. None of the places that used to offer a 'cut to pattern' mirror service (e.g. halfords etc.) seem to do it any more. If anyone knows of a firm that will cut one to profile in the correct glass thickness I'd be very grateful.

The early MGB interior mirror head is I believe identical to the SP unit - but carried on a different stem...
Capture.JPG
This head could replace the SP one but to fit it to the SP stem the glass needs to be removed and it doesn't come out easily. I can find no source of just the glass for the MG either - somebody must make them?

At present I've re-assembled mine with the original mirror glass - having very degraded silvering - with a piece of silvered plastic sheet stuck to it. it works, but I'd much prefer it with a proper replacement glass.
1-P1200140.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

I took my carefully removed (actually it nearly fell out) existing mirror glass to a local glass merchants and got a very acceptable new mirror glass for about £10.
Tim

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Can't find the mirror manufacturer. Maybe have a word with Tex Automotive who make a lot of similar classic mirrors in the UK.
http://texautomotive.com/index.html

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Whilst at the NEC this weekend I had a chat with the model registrar. He tells me that Bryan Purves has the tooling to make mirrors.
Which is great news.
The club will now be better looking for something that is truly unobtainable.