Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

dart sump alterations

PhilD

Re: dart sump alterations

Post by PhilD »

Sorry, predictive text, should have read SP not SO!

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

I have a modified SP sump which is on my spare engine. It was modified by the previous owner to fit with a Jaguar saloon box with overdrive which I also have and which I believe he had in the car prior to fitting a 350 cubic inch Chevrolet engine etc. I have never tried mating the two or having them in a car, but I assume that they would fit with no real problems.

Here are a couple of pictures just for interest of the modified area of the sump.

Antony
Attachments
002.JPG

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

For some reason it only took the one image, here's the second one............

Antony
Attachments
003.JPG

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi , I am thinking now that I may go down the route of having a saloon sump altered (1.5 - 2" taken off the bottom in order to give more ground clearance when fitted in a Dart ) I don't know whether it is better to just remove from the bottom and have a plate welded on or remove a 1.5 -2" band from the middle and have the original bottom re welded back on ,any suggestions would be much appreciated ,Regards ,Terry .

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

I am sectioning a saloon sump 20-25mm myself to lower the saloon Daimler V8 in my TVR. The issue with just cutting the bottom off is that you loose the drain plug. I am also removing the 'wings' to clear my exhaust. I will reuse the bottom bit with the drain plug repositioned or remake the bottom with a relocated drain plug. I will also fit an oil temp sender boss. I am also refitting the bottom parallell to the top as the saloon sump bottom is at an angle to the top. I have had a shortened pick up made by Russ Carpenter to go with the shallower sump.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi , many thanks for the replies and photos ,very much appreciated ,Regards ,Terry .

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi , when the 1.5" -2" is removed from the saloon sump (for it to be fitted in the SP) is the same amount of engine oil used as before? Regards , Terry .

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi ,I have gone down the route of altering a saloon sump to fit into the SP ( to give more ground clearance ) the 1.5"-2" has been cut off the bottom of the sump and I now need to have a plate welded in , I now need to find a competent welder, with the sump being made from cast aluminium would it be best to use a MIG or TIG machine ? .Regards , Terry .

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Hi Terry

We can weld a plate and fit a drain plug. You will also need to check the oil pickup will still be ok as this may be too long? If so we can modify this to suit.

Your question regarding oil volume is another calculation to determine the volume list by reducing the sump depth, the last thing you would want is for the crank to splash.

Phil