Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

dart sump alterations

TWF

dart sump alterations

Post by TWF »

Hi , has anyone successfully altered a dart sump in order to fit it to a saloon block , using the saloon manual overdrive gearbox which means that the starter motor would be hard against the sump? Regards , Terry Fisher .

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: dart sump alterations

Post by Sydsmith »

Terry, this was discussed a lot on the old forum, if you do a search there you should find what you need to know. Syd

David S

Post by David S »

I must say that I thought Dart sumps are as rare Rocking horse manure, or Hen's teeth.
If you have one I would've thought it would be most economical to buy a saloon sump for this and sell your Dart one.
Just a thought..........
David

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi, thank you for your replies , very much appreciated , when I bought the Dart sump I was unaware of the problem of the starter motor fouling on the sump , I certainly won't alter the Dart sump unless I am certain that it is going to work ,Regards , Terry .

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I do have a 'modified' SP 250 sump... not sure the reason it was modified.. but it may work for you.. I cant download from my camera as the site says it too much info to load..but I can send an image in email.. could be costly to ship outside of country though ..Im located in california..
Unwise using the full synchro jaguar box as fitted to the V8 saloon in the SP250..due to a number of issues .. the sump and backplate configuration being one of them.. may be easier with an old Jaguar 'moss box' bolted to the Daimler v8 saloon bell housing, with top cover from one of the XK sports cars.. location of gear stick is a potential problem being WAY to far forward to use in the SP 250..( the saloon uses a top cover similar to that of the early XJ6..this has the most rearward gear stick position available for the full synchro jag box..but its still WAY to far forward for the SP 250 ) but there are many alternatives including the Toyota 5 speed as sold by conversion components in NZ.. many seem to bulk at the price..but in actuality its very reasonable given that the headaches of a 'bespoke' one off conversion have to be resolved.. My advice.. purchase a conversion that is known to fit and work well.. rather then experimenting..unless of course you have lots of time on your hands.. and the requisite skills and patience.. the jag box is not the best of choices in order to add overdrive. its heavy and cumbersome with shifts that are not exactly 'fast'.. and its prone to 'issue's ..worn synchros and 1 st motion shaft bearing noise being 2 of the most common ones..

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

I am successfully using a Triumph 2.5 saloon MOD Box. It requires some mods to the bell housing, otherwise fairly straightforward conversion. Details on request....

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Soundmike wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:58 pm I am successfully using a Triumph 2.5 saloon MOD Box. It requires some mods to the bell housing, otherwise fairly straightforward conversion. Details on request....
Please do share 8-)

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

I wrote an article in the NZ Daimler Club magazine which can be found on our website, daimlerclub.org.nz . Go to magazines, it is in the February-March 2013 edition. The conversion has worked well, although the gearbox was a bit tired and noisy. I am currently doing another overhauled gearbox, this one with a "J" overdrive, and using a gear reduction started motor to avoid the large cutaway in the bell housing. Yet to be road tested. Feel free to email me on mwking45nz@hotmail.com.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

There was an SP in Scotland in the late 70's that had a 2.5PI gearbox, it was created by cutting both an SP casing at the bell housing and the Triumph box at the gearbox and welding the Triumph box to the SP bell housing, apparently easier than it sounds.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Terry

Modifying the sump from either an SO or saloon is much more difficult than fabricating a new aluminium sump. As well as a more professional outcome of provides additional cooling.

If this is a bit problem to solve we can fabricate a sump to suit your requirements, we typically fabricate for face cars so used to having.very odd configurations.