Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler v8 rebuild

fredinireland

Daimler v8 rebuild

Post by fredinireland »

Well it's now or never........
I have been trying to start my rebuild for a number of years but family and work gets in the way. Now I have semi retired I am going to attempt this daunting task.
I have a 1965 V8 which I have owned since I was 18 (and i'm 63 now) which was my run around during those crazy years of running with the lads and was previously owned by my Dad. (another story).
Lack of money meant lots of bump starting etc. but luckily we lived on a hill so this was easy even in an automatic. I have no idea what damage I did if any but this car was laid up soon after my daughter was born in 1986. Since then I have had another V8, a 5.3 XJS, Series 1 Sovereign and an XJ8 which I just sold.
The Daimler is in a poor state as it was going rusty before the lay up and was then containerised for years.
I have however a California bodyshell from a MK2 Jag (rolling shell as basically complete except for the engine) and the plan is to rebuild the Jag shell as a Daimler V8.
Trying to repair the Daimler shell makes no sense financially.
If there are any members who have completed such a rebuild I would really appreciate advice and criticism on the plan.
I have a load of parts collected over the years but will need to start with the running gear which needs complete re bushing etc. My front axle is shot as the turrets are rusty and not worth repairing. I will need to rebuild the Jag unit with correct springs.
I think power steering would be worth doing?
I remember the rear axle had a whine so this will need looking at by a decent workshop to assess repair or replacement. I am now based in Ireland so the firms in the UK Midlands who were famous for doing this kind of work are a long way away.
I need to prepare a plan of works as getting the sequence wrong could be costly.
Please chip in with experiences and do's and don'ts as I am determined to get this done finally. Any links to documents or books is really appreciated.
Wish me luck!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler v8 rebuild

Post by Sydsmith »

Welcome to the forum Fred, what an interesting car you have more or less a one owner and you know all the history. Though I have no knowledge of a tub swap between a Jaguar and a V8 I suspect there are those amongst the forum users who will chip in with help for you.

I have a V8 250 which does not have power steering, though it would be useful in tight spaces and my wife would be more than happy to have it, the car is perfectly behaved without it, so don't fret too much about not having PS, just add 5lb extra pressure to the front tyres.

One thing is for sure is you need the Daimler suspension as the engine weights are very different, as I am sure from what you say you already know.

Good luck with your project. Syd

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

Also be aware that manual and auto models have a different floor pan!

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

as soundmike states..the body shells are different for auto and manual cars .. you can fit manual box to an auto car but not the other way round.. the tunnel is narrower for the manual cars..( vin code is BW suffix for auto box cars.. no suffix for straight manual and DN for overdrive) the only other difference I'm aware of as regards body shell is that the daimler shell has some additional 'cage nuts' welded to floor pan to fit the exhaust system heat shields to.. an easy thing to rectify.. the other minor issue is that the hole to mount the top bolt for grill will need enlarging...bonnet holes for trim different also..but perhaps your bonnet is good and can be transferred over to the replacement shell?
All simple stuff.. be aware that the headliners are of a different design for Jaguar Mk2 v Daimler v8.. the latter a 3 piece assembly which the centre part is glued in .. on the Mk2 jag it has a one piece headliner held in by the normal method by steel hoops.

fredinireland

Post by fredinireland »

Thanks for the replies.
I am assured the floorpan is from an automatic and the badge on the boot says 3.8 automatic so I hope we are good on that.
Other little bits of info are really appreciated and being noted.