Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 saloon left to right conversion.

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

V8 saloon left to right conversion.

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

Had thought to find several threads on this topic, I guess I'm searching on the wrong string.....

I have bought, I hope, a '64 saloon from the US.
Eventually I'll want to switch it over. I'm new to the marque, other than a Haynes manual, I wonder if someone could advise what parts I will need to acquire?

Steering box... the whole column?
Gear change linkage?
Idler?
Pedal box? (It's an auto)
Large instruments panel?
Handbrake linkage?
Dash woodwork?
Glovebox lid, liner?

I'm disregarding brake pipes, wiring, etc. Headlights of course. The wipers already park on the left. And I could probably live with the central toggles where they are.

Is that it?
While I have it apart, any routine improvements?

Ivor

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: V8 saloon left to right conversion.

Post by Sydsmith »

Wow Ivor that's a brave one, but first of all congratulations of choosing a great car to start with.

I guess if you have the car stripped that will help, but still a lot of work. Not being cheeky, but would you not be better off going for a right hooker in the first place? There seem to be plenty around still at reasonable prices for one needing restoration.

Looks like your list is about right, but I am sure you will find the odd part or two that will need replacing any way. With regard to the brake pipes it would be as well during the rebuild to replace the piping any way to save work in the future, in the scale of things good brake pipe is not expensive.

Not sure but I recon most of the dash with the exception of the woodwork and mountings will be the same only the other way round, certainly the instruments will be the same, they use miles in America, so speedo and rev counter will be fine as will all the others the switch panel is the same as far as I know.

I would avoid fleabay if you can, for some reason the parts for the V8's on there have rocketed in price recently and there must be loads around that will be cheaper. Join the DLOC if you have not already done so and put an advert in the club magazine, many of us have got parts we would be happy to sell you at much better prices than fleabay.

Good luck with the project hope it works out right for you.

CDemler

Post by CDemler »

Hi Ivor,
You have bought a rare car being a LHD V8.
Please do not convert it.
I have done it twice from RHD to LHD.

You will need:
Complete wooden dash.
Instrument plastik stripe on dash. (Small instruments are in different place).
Steering box.
Steering column.
New wiring loom.
Pedal box.
Accelerator pedal and bracket.
Handbrake mechanism.
Handbrake linkage on rear axle.
Sun visor for both sides
Door locks
Door lock mechanisum ( or you have to lock always the LH door with the key)
Under dash covers for both Sides
You have to change the accelerator rod in the engine compartment ( for this the engine has to come out)
I think on an automatic car you have to change the kick down cable as well.( not shure)
New choke cable.
Wiper motor and wiper arms need to be changed.
It makes more sence to sell the car to the Continent with a good profit and buy a good RHD one.
Chris

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Ivor.. if you wish to trade it for a RHD example in comparable condition.. let me know .. direct email is tim.trevithick@yahoo.com.

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Mmm, thankyou.

A bit more involved than I had expected. Oh well.
Door locks. Quite forgot!!

I presume that with the exception of marque badging and veneers, Jag steering, door, undercarriage and dash parts are the same?

Ivor

PS the car has particular attributes which make it not readily replaceable.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

If the 'particular attributes' relate to Ford 302 engine.. its the second most common route stateside.. generally the GM 350 ci powertrain is the usual choice as they are more abundant and more robust.. the Daimler version of the Mk2 Jaguar was never 'officially' imported here (SP 250 was sold here..as well as handful of majestic majors survival rate of SP 250 very good) there remain a significant number of sound Mk2 jags as they were good sellers 'back in the day' and were popular .. as well as a few ex UK Daimlers..most of which have the same issues as cars in Uk. ( caveat emptor..ask me how I know) I believe there are more surviving XJ series cars here with GM powertrains than those with original jaguar engines..

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Tis folly, to buy a car one hasn't seen, from a chap one hasn't met.
Oh well. I did.

Ivor

Mine 3.jpg

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

due to the fact that the car is modified with the US powertrain, and the documentation to fit the '30yr rule' was not forthcoming, Ivor was unable to import the car to UK.. So I ended up with it instead.. the odd angle of rear wheel in image is, I believe, due to it being retrofitted with a Jaguar Mk1 rear axle. (somewhat narrower than the original) we'll get this 'corrected' asap.. a 3.54:1 'powerlok' rear axle is on hand..