Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Radiator cap op. pressure

johnwager

Re: Radiator cap op. pressure

Post by johnwager »

Steve
I have always found that with the V8 saloon you need to let it find it's own water level, which is usually at the bottom of the horizontal fill tube.
If I ever fill over that,it always pushes the excess out, then settles and never goes down further.
The engine and radiator on that car holds a large volume of water(3 gallons), which needs room to expand.
I think you will find that even with a 9lb cap it will do the same thing.
If everything runs normally I would tend to leave it.
John

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Thank you John.
I have only just acquired the car which is an SP so I will take your advice and run it for a while and see what happens to the water level after the first spill.

Steve.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Flinty wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm Thank you John.
I have only just acquired the car which is an SP so I will take your advice and run it for a while and see what happens to the water level after the first spill.
SP's typically run with the coolant level just above the cross-pipe in the header tank. If the tank is filled to the top, the next time you check it will be down to that level again. The temptation is to refill the tank again and begin an ongoing cycle of refilling and re-losing coolant. It's worth checking to see if the level does stabilise just above the cross tube before doing any mods. If it settles below the tube there is the risk of drawing air into the system.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

I always check the level when the engine is hot and never top it up when the engine is cold. In this way you don't need an expansion tank.

Regards,

Lionel