Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cylinder Head Valve Removal

fredeuce

Cylinder Head Valve Removal

Post by fredeuce »

I am in the process of upgrading my engine for a new camshaft. The heads need to be dismantled to short the valve guides to allow travel for increased valve lift. My old valve spring compressor I have had for 30 years isn't going to do the job without a new jaw arrangement fitted to it.

What are others using to perform this task?

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Cylinder Head Valve Removal

Post by daimlersteve »

wack the keeper with a socket the break the fit.

Turn the spring remover around to come from the other side of the head. It will work then.When i used that type of compressor i also used a 3/4 socket on the valve head to lift the whole unit.
I've moved on to more professional tools since.

steve

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Cylinder Head Valve Removal

Post by Ian Slade »

It can be done with a ring spanner and a piece of rope round the exhaust stubs with a small chunk of wood in the head, both removing and refitting :shock: :x
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.