Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler SP250 Hatchback

Richard Vester

SP250 hatchback

Post by Richard Vester »

Dear Forum members,

On the internet I find a short article from Dave Pool about a curious Daimler SP250 hatchback. Is there more information and / or photos available?

https://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtop ... 30#p361581
Daimlers Hatchback.jpg
Richard Vester

Richard Vester

Daimler SP250 Hatchback

Post by Richard Vester »

Dear Forum members,

On the internet I find a short article from Dave Pool about a curious Daimler SP250 hatchback. Is there more information and / or photos available?

https://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtop ... 30#p361581
Daimlers Hatchback.jpg
Richard Vester

Brooksy

Re: Daimler SP250 Hatchback

Post by Brooksy »

Richard,

The "fastback", was a one off creation made by Stan Brown in Sydney Australia. The conversion was done in Aluminium and on a very late chassis car, in fact the last factory imported car in 1964. At the same time the car was fitted with 4 twin choke webbers .

I was in touch with the original owner who commissioned the modification just recently, as the car, albeit now back to a standard looking SP has changed hands and the new owner was after information on the history of the car.

The car was originally Mountain Blue and is now Red. There was an article done on the car when it was restored, which is where the photo you posted came from.

Here is a photo that did not make it into the article.

Regards

DYG 624
Attachments
Please do not pass this photo around to other sites etc.
Please do not pass this photo around to other sites etc.
Regards

Brooksy

1962 SP250 Ex Met Police 104035

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

A friend of mine bought this in 1976 and converted it back as original, it is known to Lawrence Jones.
Sp estate
Sp estate
The attachment image.jpeg is no longer available

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

When it looked better
Sp hatchback
Sp hatchback

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

All though I can understand the practical aspects, In my humble opinion, possibly the ugliest shooting brake I have seen.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

andrewatcourtfarm

Post by andrewatcourtfarm »

I am reliably informed by a friend of mine who owns a Harrington Sunbeam Alpine, that Harrington did modify one SP250 and this would have had a "hatchback" appearance. He tells me that this car cannot be located by the Harrington owners organisation.

For some reason I am unable to post a picture but a search for Harrington Alpine will give you a good idea of what it probably looked like.

Andrew

Bud

Post by Bud »

Anything can be made or done with Fiberglass or GFR, but should it?
For the monies spent there could have been or should have been two viable cars in the shot.
If you need to take that much with you, maybe a custom trailer.

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

This is my car. Obviously not the one you are a talk about.
I made this targa Top a couple of years ago. It is held on exactly the same as the conventional hardtop, with the added advantage that the front half is removable in 3 pieces and can be stowed in the boot.

DAve.
Attachments
IMG_1655.JPG

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

I like the Aussie blue car & yours is stunning “silverdart”

The “hearse” is really not my cup off tea though.....

I’m fact, Gimme a shout if you ever decide to sell you targa top Dave