Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart Seat reclining brackets

DaveM

Dart Seat reclining brackets

Post by DaveM »

Hi All,

After struggling with the upright nature of the dart seats and sore shoulders after long journeys I considered changing the seats to MGF ones as so many have already done. However before doing so I thought I'd play with the reclining angled of the original seats to see if the comfort could be improved. After many attempts I final found an angle which has made the seats feel so much better, well in my view anyway. Attached is the engineering diagram if you fancy a weekend playing in the garage.
Daimler Dart Seat Reclining Brackets.jpg
Cheers Dave

NB: so sadly miss having the ability to share with Wilf he so enjoyed these little bit of info for his side files, RIP buddy

smithgor

Re: Dart Seat reclining brackets

Post by smithgor »

Thanks, Dave, for the very clear and professional drawing.

Will certainly have a go as the seating position is not suited to my 6ft 1" height.

Strange, because I recall reading somewhere that taller drivers were steered towards the SP250 when they found the E-Type too tight for a 6 ft frame.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I confess to being a 6' 2" bloater who has driven Darts all day long and had no more discomfort than the usual need to stretch my legs every two to three hours and have a cupper and use the rest room.
The thing that I found more useful is extending the column to lift the steering wheel a couple of inches when fitting R&P. It meant that I could still grasp the wheel when turning right because my knee wasn't trapped between the door and steering wheel.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Dave,
The first owner of my car solved the lack of room and seating by simply cutting off the round frame to which the runners are attached and welding flat strip to stub and bolting this direct to floor. Quite comfortable if you had log legs!!!! Those height challenged amongst us not so good.
I hunted around when I restored the car and replaced the frame and runners etc. Now standard set up and fully adjustable BUT back rest too upright and uncomfortable. Fixed by putting wooden ramp under runners on floor, app 2 inch at front tapering away to nothing just before rear most runner mounting bolt. Now back rest nicely sloping backwards with added bonus of increased support under thighs.
Needless to say extra length bolts fitted to floor runners to compensate for extra height.
Yours
Kent

David S

Post by David S »

Well I am sure you are right.... Wilf would approve your design and make a Technical Notes sheet of it. Even though he liked his seats just as they were ... standard.

Personally I think this mod is much better than the spacers I made for mine as the seat backs won't wobble.
And just think, 60 years they were designing this splendid car and we are still improving it!

When will we have a perfect Dart???

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Adrian Hetherington has designed a variable retractable seat back based on a block with different sized flats. I am no engineer but it seems to work well. He is based in the IOM with a car which also has electric power steering.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Dave,

Thankyou so much for both your design and excellent drawing. Just completed this mod to both seats - superb!

Kind regards

Roger

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Coincidently, finally after having made the brackets 6 months ago, I fitted them to the driver's seat today. First impressions are very favourable but will need a test drive to confirm the view is improved. Many thanks Dave.