Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 inner axle shafts - spline count?

Dan62SP250

SP250 inner axle shafts - spline count?

Post by Dan62SP250 »

Hello everyone,
I have not had the opportunity yet to dissemble my rear axle assembly for my SP250, but was wondering what count the inner splines are for the inner ends of the axle shafts - the portion that engages the differential. Are they the same for series 1 and series 2 rear axle assemblies as well?

Background to the question: I am wondering if any of the Dana Spicer model clutch limited slip designs (powr lok series, I was thinking Dana 27 or Dana 30) might fit an SP250 differential. My car is a B-spec car (July '61) and I believe I have the series 2 rear axle assembly.

Best regards,
Dan

silverdart

Re: SP250 inner axle shafts - spline count?

Post by silverdart »

Hi Dan, There are 18 splines on the inner ends of the axle shafts.
The shafts are interchangeable between cond. 1 and cond. 2 axles.
I have rebuilt an axle recently and would be happy to help with advice if needed.

Dave.

Dan62SP250

Re: SP250 inner axle shafts - spline count?

Post by Dan62SP250 »

Hello Dave,
Many thanks for the information. At 18 splines, there is no obvious tie-up with the Dana Spicer units, but it is interesting to continue to learn about these cars.

Thank you for your kind offer as well --I will be starting on my rear axle as part of the restoration sometime this summer and will contact you as I get started.

Best regards, Dan