Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

MoT exemption

Jez

MoT exemption

Post by Jez »

Let me start by saying that I plan to continue to get voluntary MoTs / safety checks done on all my cars. However, I can see the forthcoming UK MoT exemption may be useful in terms of circumnavigating some bureaucratic issues which may arise out of legislation and standards intended for more modern vehicles.

The rules coming into force in May for MoT exemption state that if the method of steering has been changed then you can't claim the exemption, unless the change has been due to lack of parts availability or for safety reasons. This suggests there's a grey area for SP250s which have been converted to Rack and Pinion steering.

Apparently the FBHVC may be able to clarify the position. Has anyone here looked into it?

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: MoT exemption

Post by Ian Slade »

That would seem reasonable to assume, there are various methods of converting to R&P, the rack mounting and the geometry using various rod ends and racks. The FBVHC or the DOT ( or whatever it is called today) are not into verifying design changes ( either amateur or professional) and will leave it to the tester to decide the road worthiness, I suppose the problem comes when the conversion was done some 40+ years ago which would make it legal, or maybe not.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

This is an extract from the FBHVC response to the DfT's final legislation for MoT exemption in May .....

· Following STRONG representations by FBHVC, a vehicle may generally be a VHI (Vehicle of Historic Interest) if relevant changes were undertaken more than 30 years previously. This will be a rolling 30 years and replaces the fixed 1988 date previously proposed by DfT.
· Major points of note are:
· The process is one of self-declaration.
· Owners will only be required to declare their vehicle to be a VHI
if they wish to be exempted from an annual MOT Test.
· All vehicles will still be able to be tested if their owners wish
· The criteria are generic and permit changes made, less than 30 years prior to the declaration, which improve efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance.

I don't know whether this actually takes us forward, but the text I've highlighted in red indicates that if we wish to obtain MoT exemption for a car we have to declare it a VHI and changes made less than 30 years prior to the declaration are acceptable if we consider them an improvement in efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance. I think one could convincingly argue that an SP R&P conversion is an improvement in both efficiency and safety.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

We had a fairly lengthy debate here in the forum about whether a steering upgrade on an SP would qualify as a safety modification or not. I'll try and search it out later.

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

I recall there being something in the legislation about modifications which could have been done in period being acceptable. I believe the factory did fit some SP's with rack & pinion steering as a trial, but I don't know if any left the factory with it.

Kevin

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I think Nick has hit the nail on the head. R&P properly fitted on an SP must surely be safer than the chest crusher ridged column.

Personally I will be going for VHI status despite my R&P set up having been fitted within 30 years.

I cannot see how anyone could argue a R&P conversion is not safer than that lethal rigid column, terminating inches from the front of the car, with little strength in the body or chassis at that point.

As I said in the earlier thread that discussed this issue, I have spoken to my friendly MOT man, he is happy to do an annual MOT type check of all my cars for £25 per car plus vat. As he will not be logging on to the mot computer I will not get a cert, but I will know if there is anything I have missed and will not be at risk of driving a none road worthy car. Syd

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The rigid column is safe except in the case of hitting a snow plough, it is so low that anything will ride up and over it, from what R&P systems I've seen they are no safer than original there not being enough angle for the column above the universal joint not to be pushed into the car. What will kill you is the engine landing on your lap or the sharp edge of the windscreen to slicing your head open, seat belts or not, R&P is no safer or efficient than standard, certainly heavier at speed.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

NZ requires a siding section in the column (ie. Herald ) and for my recent cert the sharp edges of the screen.had to be clad in rubber section. Steve.

Stephencarter

Post by Stephencarter »

Check your agreed value insurance documents before abandoning your annual MoT. Some insurers only pay out the full value if it has one, otherwise it's market value.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

There was an extensive discussion about insurance and MOTs in this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3350