Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

MoT exemption

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: MoT exemption

Post by simonp »

Latest view in the DM is that if the SP has had a R & P fitted within the last 30 years, which mine has, I will continue to need official MOTs.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Mines was fitted when I got the car and was clearly an older mod, but I have no idea when it was done.

Does any one know when the mod was first started to be fitted to SP250's ?

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Brian Hills was doing this conversion in the mid 1990s
Dennis

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

That would seem to make it impossible to claim that R&P was fitted prior to the 30 year limit.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I spoke to Brian Hills last night, he converted his Dart to Rack and Pinion steering in 1986-7. He also did Graham Frost's car soon after. He thinks these were probably the first ones to have the steering converted.

He feels that all Classics should be MOTd regardless.

Dennis

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

We are missing Wilf Stephans already, he would know the year of the earliest rack and pinion fitting.
Looking in the SPread the Word volumes the earliest article of a rack and pinion conversion is 1978 so well outside the 30 year limit.
Paul Kennedy

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Looking back at my MOT's for the past 8 years and the average mileage for the SP is less than 1,500 miles per year, one of the years it hardly moved a wheel and did less than 400 miles, the highest year was 1,890 miles. My V8 250 has done less than 600 miles a year and was never off the drive one year.

Given the very low mileage travelled and that I am most careful about inspections and servicing, I am not sure that an annual MOT is essential, but I am open to be persuaded. Syd

David S

Post by David S »

It’s always a good idea to get someone to look at it as they see what you don't. especially if it has been idle for ages. it’s like proof reading a professional journalist's work.
But I really think there should be a cut down [and cheaper] test for our cars.
And Note as Nick [Vortex O'Plinth] said earlier …….The criteria are generic and permit changes made, less than 30 years prior to the declaration, which improve efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance. Doesn’t this cover everything like R&P steering; overdrive/5 speed gearbox; Servo brakes and so on??

David S

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Changes as Written that apply from Today with regards to Substantially Changed
Historic Vehicle Exemption Criteria

2. What ‘substantial changes’ means
A ‘substantial change’ is something that means the technical characteristics of the main components have changed.

Cars, private passenger vehicles and light commercial vehicles
Chassis
Chassis replacements of the same pattern as the original do not count as a substantial change.

Monocoque bodyshell (including any sub-frames) replacements of the same pattern as the original do not count as a substantial change.

Axles and running gear
Alterations to the type and/or method of suspension or steering counts as a substantial change.

Engine
Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines do not count as a substantial change.

If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original, it’s likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment.

Other reasons for changes
It does not count as a substantial change if:

changes are made to preserve a vehicle because the original type parts are no longer reasonably available
changes of a type - you need to be able to prove the change was made when vehicles of the type were in production or within 10 years of the end of production
axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance
vehicles that were previously used as commercial vehicles had changes made to them - you need to be able to prove the changes were made when the vehicle was used commercially

Things that count as ‘substantial changes’
It counts as a ‘substantial change’ if a vehicle:

has been given a ‘Q’ registration number
is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle
is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance
is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell, which changes the general appearance of the vehicle
However, if any of these 4 types of vehicle is taxed as a ‘historic vehicle’, and it has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it is exempt from needing an MOT.

I assume the section in RED would classify the SP steering as a safety improvement
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Interesting to see in Classic Car Weekly this week that the Dart is mentioned.
Fuss Townsend relates specifically to the steering conversation adopted.
I suppose that his personal experience is fresh in his mind and realises that all converted Darts to R&P will need an MOT every year. This may not be a bad thing for the owners who are enthusiasts but for investors may be a sticky wicket if it effects values.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !