Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Choke Control

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

V8 250 Choke Control

Post by Salmons »

The choke control on my car has become very stiff, it goes up as far as Run and then it is very difficult to push the lever up any further. I disconnected the cable and that appears to work freely. Wth the cable detached I have attempted to work the mechanism by hand but it is very stiff.

Can anyone advise please.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 250 Choke Control

Post by Salmons »

I think I have solved the problem. I had a new Choke return spring and cable from David Manners last November and fitted it over the winter. Now that I have got the car out of hibernation I have noticed the tight control problem and today found that without the Spring attached the choke control works easily.

So the spring is too strong.

Does anyone have a good secondhand spring or know where I can get a weaker one.

Dennis

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Dennis, I can't answer your question directly, but have you considered making up an extension link of some sort to put between the end of the spring and one of the anchor points?

There is a guy in Leighton Buzzard who advertises in DM - he has a few project cars & breaks the odd V8 saloon - he might be able to help.

Good luck!
Best wishes, Dave B

Clive

Post by Clive »

Dennis,

My '66 has no spring, nor I could not find a spring listed in the Spare Part Catalogue I have (version D.4 issued '63). So perhaps that is the answer!

My choke often gets very stiff to operate as well, but lubricating with engine oil as detailed in the service manual cures it - I found in particular the brass shaft of the jet adjustment and the shoe/rod mechanism were the main culprits.

Clive.