Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 A-Posts

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

SP250 A-Posts

Post by migray »

I have been looking for information about how best to repair the A posts on my dart. I see that Wilf Stephens used to have a technical sheet on this and wondered if anyone would be able to send me a copy?
The left hand side has rotted away where it passes through the floor but otherwise seems fine. The right hand one is intact. There are also 2 plates with a 90 degree bend in them which fit under the A-post and through the slot in the floor. Again the right hand side is fine but the left hand one only has the bit inside the car. Are these original or someone's attempt to re-inforce the floor?
Are there any plans to make Wilf's technical sheets available more generally?

Thanks

Mike

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: SP250 A-Posts

Post by Sydsmith »

Mike I am not sure if I am correct but I think Barry Thorn has what you want. Syd

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I've emailed you a copy of Wilf's writeup on 'A'-post refurbishment.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Thanks Nick. The sheets are helpful.

I wonder if all Wilf's sheets could be made available for download. The SP250 Owners Club website would be the obvious place but it doesn't seem to receive very much in the way of new content.

Mike

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Wilf sent me a tech sheet with the dimensions for the pieces required to complete the bottom of the A posts. Sadly I don't have it any more, that said, there must be lots of anoraks out there that can pass the info on.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
There is a facility on this forum for technical articles to be posted. Not everyone has an SP.
Regards

Colin

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Wilf had compiled a library of some seventy technical articles on maintenance, service and modifications for the SP250. The bulk of these are Microsoft 'Word' documents which cannot be uploaded to this forum. It would be a shame if these were not as readily available to owners now as they were in Wilf's lifetime. It would seem logical that these could be hosted on the DLOC website and available for download in either Word or .pdf format.

Certainly not every member is an SP250 owner, but they do comprise the largest sector of the DLOC.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am Wilf had compiled a library of some seventy technical articles on maintenance, service and modifications for the SP250. The bulk of these are Microsoft 'Word' documents which cannot be uploaded to this forum. It would be a shame if these were not as readily available to owners now as they were in Wilf's lifetime. It would seem logical that these could be hosted on the DLOC website and available for download in either Word or .pdf format.
They could be hosted on the forum server if I uploaded them there. Then there would be a conventional link in the technical articles forum to download a Word or PDF document to read.

It might be a lengthy process to email them to me if they are large in KB and it might overload the forum server.

Alternatively, we have been told that the dloc.org.uk website is being redesigned so they could be uploaded there with the car data sheets.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

John-b

The documents for the A-post restoration that Vortex sent to me consisted of 6 drawings at 200KB each and 1 word file at 400KB. If there are 70 such articles (and I suspect many will be briefer) then a total storage of about 140 MB would be needed to host all the files. Is this sensible / doable? I would very much like to have access to all Wilf's (with contributions from others) technical write ups.

Mike

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

140MB should be OK for the forum server, if not, I'll just stop uploading!

It will take me a while to upload from my PC with a normal domestic upload speed.

Emailing 140MB is too much. There used to be a limit of 4MB per email. I know that has been exceeded but it would have to be spread over several emails and even then there is a risk of failure.

A better way would be to put them on a cd and send it to me by post.

Email me if you can put them on a cd and I'll reply with my address.

What's the copyright situation if the author has died? Does his executor or wife have to give permission?