Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Saloon V8 Front hub lubrication

Alpine Daimler

Saloon V8 Front hub lubrication

Post by Alpine Daimler »

According to the manual the bearings should be removed from hubs at 10.000 miles, cleaned, greased and re-fitted without packing the hub end cap full with grease.

My hubs have grease nipples fitted accessable when wheel nave plates (hub caps) are removed and the end caps have a minute hole at the end. My understanding is, or what I have been told and its sounds feasable, is grease is to be applied via this nipple with a grease gun untill clean grease emerges from the small hole at the end of end hub cap. Then of course the end cap is full of grease which is just what the manual says should not happen!

This also sounds like good advce as after a longish run at modest speed grease is expelled from the end cap into the rearside of nave plate and gets squirted out over the rim, only on one side I should add.

From the manual I cannot see or identify a seal at the outboard side of the bearing which has possibly failed.

Any ideas ouit there?

Regards

Rob C.

Pinto

Re: Saloon V8 Front hub lubrication

Post by Pinto »

Hi Rob C ,
To lubricate the front wheel bearings it is necessary to remove the hubs, this will mean you have to remove the brake calipers. When the hubs are off clean out the old grease remove the inner seal to remove the inner bearings If you are reusing the old bearings clean in a good solvent and use compressed air to clean off the solvent. Inspect the cups and cones for any pitting ( case hardening failure ) or a blue tinge to the running surfaces indicating over heating of the bearing, if in doubt fit new ones. Repack the bearings with a good quality wheel bearing grease, put a good quantity of grease into the hub refit the inner bearing and a new seal. Refit the hub to car and adjust the bearing to get 003 to 005 thou end float. Refit the brake calipers and pump the brakes to make sure the piston have not retracted.
I hope this is of some help.
Regards,
David B.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Saloon V8 Front hub lubrication

Post by tjt77 »

the stated 10,000 mile service interval is overkill.. provided you know cars history and mileage and its been well kept up, the front bearings require little maintenance..modern lubricants, especially wheel bearing grease are vastly improved since the 50 or so years back when our cars were in production....
IF you dont know the cars history and intend to use it frequently it IS wise to do a full-service on the front wheel bearings once.. which would require replacment of seals, so minimally you need the on hand before starting the job..
Assuming the bearings are in good shape and the grease has not been allowed to dry out, the grease nipples on the hub can be utilised by applying approx 4 pumps of a grease gun every 5-6,000 miles.. using this technique the bearings should last in excess of 200k miles before needing replacement ..