Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

liners in v8 250 block

TWF

liners in v8 250 block

Post by TWF »

Hi, I have recently purchased a v8250 block with the pistons ,on inspection I realised that it has liners installed which looked to be in excellent condition and my first thought was to re ring the pistons and reassemble it, however on closer inspection the pistons are quite sloppy in the bores and I have been told that the liners are slightly oversize by .003" to .005". my question is, would it be ok to bore the liners and fit + .010" or + .020" pistons , Regards ,Terry.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: liners in v8 250 block

Post by Ian Slade »

Before you do anything, measure the pistons and the bore and check against recommended sizes, the pistons are not that tight in the bore when cold. With a 20thou oversize bore you are removing 10thou / side of the liner, you would need at least a liner thickness of 20 thou after a rebore probably 40thou for reliability.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Liners were fitted at factory in some blocks..common reason was the original boring went 'over' tolerance.. ALL the 3.8 jaguar blocks had liners fitted in order to ensure minimal 'issues' with what was considered a large overbore on a block designed for 3.4 litres.... and the material in liner used is much harder and more durable than cast iron.. so I'd say you have a 'better than average' block..
Yes you can rebore it.. up to +.060" is fine.. you could likely take it out +.080" quite safely.. ( the wall thickness of factory fitted liners is well over .100"... a +.080" rebore would only take .040" out of the liner wall.. leaving the liner wall thickness +/- .060".. close to 1.5mm )
I'm just in process of building one up here ..aquired 2 dismantled engines with all parts cleaned up recently so I could see exactly what I was purchasing....one of which had a linered block.. both were standard on all dimensions with OEM pistons and bearings .. but bores between .003 and .004 oversize after honing and some pitting from corrosion present.. so both will end up bored oversize.. I have the first one back from machinists as of thursday..

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi ,thanks for your replies ,I am not looking for any extra cc so am only going up to +.010",the first cylinder was bored today and looks good . Regards ,Terry.