Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 rear suspension

CHRIS J

V8 250 rear suspension

Post by CHRIS J »

On driving my V8 250 after 2 years of renovation I think the rear suspension is a bit hard.
Should I remove the leaf springs and have them refurbished?
Has any one had this problem?
Is it worth checking the hight of the car from the ground to check the spring tension?
The shock absorbers work ok, one is a bit squeaky.

Chris

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 250 rear suspension

Post by Christopher Storey »

Removing the springs ( or more accurately replacing them) is quite a major job because you need to adjust the watts linkage and the panhard rod after you have done it . What I would do first is squirt a good deal of lubricant - silicone grease or even wd40 - onto the sides of the leaves with the wheels in the air , and also into the cavity in which the front end of the springs are housed . This may or may not make a difference, but it is worth a try

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I had a similar problem with my SP when I got it back on the road, but it settled down after a few hundred miles.

I put it down to the tyres having hardened whilst it was off the road and the springs having hung from the cradle I had the chassis on, during the chassis rebuild.

I think Chris is right don't do anything except lubricate the springs, do a thousand miles or so before you even think of tackling those springs, they are not a task you want to do willingly.

My V8 250 is if anything a bit soft on the back end, I would much prefer it to be the other way round, especially with four adults on board.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

leaf spring suspension is not known for giving smooth ride.. if its at correct ride height,(i.e. springs had not lost their tension) check that all bushes are in good order ..and check the shock absorbers for overall condition.. stiff shocks will made the ride quality worse..they should be low on resistance on the downwards stroke.. and show strong resistance on the return.. if you really want an improvement consider a conversion to coil springs.. these are available from Vicarage and are stocked by outfits such as SNG Barratt and others.. quite honesty, the ride quality of the rear end of the cars is best described as 'choppy', even when in tip top shape.. its a known 'shortcoming'.. lest we forget.. this basic unitary bodyshell first came into production in 1955.. and the design of rear suspension never changed till end of production in '69..
shame they never made Daimler V8 version of the S type.( which had excellent ride and handling due to its coil sprung rear). likely the additional weight would have presented even bigger challenges for the small V8.. you could always upgrade to a 420 'sovereign'.. veritable bargains compared to the V8 250.. and excellent ride quality and comfort.

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Thanks for the advice I shall oil the springs and maybe talk to owners at the rally.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Chris, another option is to remove the springs, separate the leafs (leaves?), clean them, lightly grease them and wrap them in Denso tape to keep the dirt out. That should last you at least 10 years!
It's not too difficult to dismantle a leaf spring. If I remember right, the some of the leaves (leafs?) should have 1" rubber "buttons" at each end to ease them sliding over each other. Replacement buttons are available from Jones Springs.

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Thanks for the info. Chris_R could be a good option as I do need to clean and check other rubber bushes and components.
I did not know about the rubber buttons.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

This section of a Mk2 leaf spring shows the outside of the small cups on the spring leaves where the rubber "buttons" go. I'm assuming the V8 250 rear leaf spring is the same as, or close to the same as, the Jaguar Mk2. The buttons sit inside the cup and the leaf above rides over the lower one. They were designed to give a superior ride. Replacement springs don't usually come with these cups in the leaves. Owen Springs might be another source.
Mk2 Leaf Spring.jpg
Mk2 Leaf Spring.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

I've had a look at the springs on my car and can see the cups.
I shall refurbish the rear suspension later in the year as I need to get it on the road and run in the rebuilt engine.
Thanks for the very useful info.