Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Petrol Tank Install

Feathers

SP250 Petrol Tank Install

Post by Feathers »

I would like to install the petrol tank in my 61. The manual calls for a rubberized felt to place it on. I want to use a piece of pond liner on top of a piece of felt. Do I have to worry about condensation? It looks like there is enough air around it? Any other tips would be a great help.
Thanks
John

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: SP250 Petrol Tank Install

Post by Sydsmith »

If it is any help when I did my car and took out the tank, there was a piece of felt and some thick polythene under the tank. The felt was soaking wet and the bottom of the tank was red rusty. I suspect the water got in round the tank filler and ran down the back of the tank. I would avoid anything that holds water even if there is a barrier between it and the tank. Syd

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Rusty tanks are quite common - mine was perforated in areas of heavy corrosion on the base. The felt the tank is sitting on becomes saturated with water and provides a nice damp poultice to promote corrosion. I suspect the main source of water ingress is actually at the body aperture provided to access the tank drain plug (which is probably never accessed in the life of the car).
drain.jpg
Regardless of what material you actually seat the tank on, after installation I'd suggest the perimeter of this aperture be sealed to the tank bottom surface to prevent any possible water ingress.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I forgot to say I used Heuga felt tiles under my tank, they are those long pile squares made of plasticy pile and sort of thick roofing felt base. Awful things on a floor but work well under a tank as they do not hold water.