Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Restored V8 saloon shell.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Restored V8 saloon shell.

Post by New Dexter »

I would like to sell a 1965 V8 saloon rolling shell. Essentially a restored bodysehll with two axles, nothing else. I have been trying to find a suitable price and they seem to vary from £5,000 to £8,000 depending upon whether there is an engine or not. While it was built as a V8 saloon it could have the engine from a Jaguar if someone were adventurous enough. I have a 3.8 triple carburettor engine I was going to fit but I have one or two other things that take up my time.
Does anyone have any idea of the price one could ask please? There is an engine for sale on car and Classic for £3500 which is a guide. I would prefer this site as they don't take 10% of the sale price, albeit with a maximum of £250.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Restored V8 saloon shell.

Post by tjt77 »

Rule of thumb is but scenario for 'unfinished' projects, the return is most commonly less then 50% of what one has spent ( if it was done 'wisely') or significantly less if one is easily liberated from one's money and overpaid .. as for calculating 'times' for restoration :- 10 mins to take apart.. 10 hrs to re-assemble..

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Restored V8 saloon shell.

Post by Sydsmith »

Restoring a V8 shell properly requires good skills and is a time consuming and expensive task, especially if the front wings have to be repaired, which is almost a given.

Value will depend on what state the shell is now in, the quality and extent of the restoration work. If it is in primer there is a lot of expense still ahead and sadly even manual V8's don't make the money a proper restoration costs.

Newdexter, there is no easy answer to your question. As I am sure you will know, it depends on demand, how many there are out there who have the skills time and facilities to finish building the car and of course how quickly you want to dispose of it.

It goes without saying if you are fortunate enough to find two or more people who want it you will get more, good luck with the sale.

Syd